What allows certain wavelengths to pass through walls ?

• Thread starter quickAndLucky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wavelengths
In summary, the reason why visible light is blocked by both walls and body tissue is because its wavelength and frequency are similar to the structures and electronic configurations it encounters, whereas gamma rays are too small and fast and radio waves are too large and slow to interact with these structures. This also explains why visible light is visible, as it has a higher probability of interacting with these structures.
quickAndLucky
Radio waves can go through walls and x Rays go through body tissue but the visible spectrum is blocked by both . Why is this the case?

Physics news on Phys.org
mrnike992 said:

There are problems with his explanation, not the least being

The reason why visible light can't travel through walls as easily as gamma rays or radio waves is because, to the visible light, there's something 'there' on a similar scale of length (wavelength) and time (frequency) that the gamma rays are too small and fast to interact with and the radio waves are too large and slow to interact with.

This is incorrect ... ALL electromagnetic radiation travels at the speed of light
radio waves are NOT slow, gamma rays are NOT fast

he repeats this error several timesDave

Likes mrnike992
Good catch. I was in a hurry earlier, and admittedly, I didn't read the article.

Likes davenn
no probs

overall his explanation is pretty poor ... wonder if between us we can find something better for the OP ? :smile:

I know of a good link that explains why glass is transparent to light ... the principles are
going to be similar for other portions of the EM spectrum, I suspect ... am not an expert
in that area of physics :smile:Dave

Likes sophiecentaur and mrnike992
I'll definitely get looking

Likes davenn
davenn said:
radio waves are NOT slow, gamma rays are NOT fast
Dave

I'm guessing the author meant the frequency, not the propagation speed.

I asked my professor something similar about photoionization cross sections ... i.e. increasing photon energy does not always mean an increased cross section. The reasoning he gave was along the lines of the wavelengths become too different for the photon and electron's orbit to interact.

so it could be the case that the visible spectrum interacts with common electronic configurations and is thus blocked (high probability anyway) ... this also explains why it is visible (because it interacts!)

1. What is the science behind certain wavelengths passing through walls?

The science behind certain wavelengths passing through walls is related to the concept of electromagnetic radiation. Electromagnetic radiation is a form of energy that travels through space in the form of waves. The wavelength of electromagnetic radiation determines its properties, including whether it can pass through walls or not.

2. Why do some wavelengths pass through walls while others do not?

Some wavelengths are able to pass through walls because they have a shorter wavelength and higher frequency, allowing them to easily penetrate solid objects. On the other hand, longer wavelengths have a lower frequency and are not able to pass through walls as easily, making them more likely to be absorbed or reflected by the wall.

3. What materials can block certain wavelengths from passing through walls?

Materials that are dense and thick, such as concrete and metal, are effective at blocking certain wavelengths from passing through walls. These materials have a high density and can absorb or reflect the energy of the wavelength, preventing it from passing through.

4. Can certain wavelengths be manipulated to pass through walls?

Yes, certain wavelengths can be manipulated to pass through walls using specialized equipment such as amplifiers and filters. These devices are able to alter the properties of the wavelength, allowing it to pass through walls more easily.

5. Is it possible to completely block all wavelengths from passing through walls?

No, it is not possible to completely block all wavelengths from passing through walls. Even the thickest and densest materials cannot block all wavelengths, as some will inevitably pass through due to their high energy and ability to penetrate solid objects.