What alternative methods can be used for solving nodal analysis equations?

Thank you for the suggestion.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of nodal analysis and the attempt to find the error in a solution. The conversation also suggests using least common multiples and trying different methods, such as Spice simulation, for troubleshooting. The correct answer is determined to be -34.9044V after contacting the professor about a possible coding error.
Mark Nussbaum

Homework Statement

upload_2017-9-22_20-28-5.png

upload_2017-9-22_20-28-51.png

Homework Equations

using nodal analysis

The Attempt at a Solution

https://imgur.com/a/UNEDH
the excel sheet is the matrix i set up then used cramer's rule. I think i got the method down but i just can't find the error so hopefully i overlooked something.
The equation i used to find Vx= V2/90 and tried both (+) and (-) answers to check if it was a sign issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what your printout is revealing since I don't know what the numbers represent. Can you write out the nodal equations that you are using?

Sorry I missed your link. Let me withhold my comments until I look it over further

First of all, have you considered using least common multiples? This would make the results a lot easier and the numbers are a good deal smaller to work with.

For example, your Node 1 resistances are 40, 25 and 150. The least common multiple is 600. So you multiply through both sides of the equation by 600 instead of 150,000 which you used. I don't know if this will affect your answers or not but the numbers are not so big this way. Your nodal equation is correct, but I favor using least common multiples. I suspect you are introducing computational errors by using the product of the three resistances instead of the least common multiple.

The other point is calculating Vx. You said you took V2/90. This would be appropriate for Ix but not for Vx. From your sketch, Vx = V2.

Likes Mark Nussbaum
Ah thank you that was a terrible oversight... still have the wrong answer so going to try using least common multiples and see if that cleans up the calculations.

I ended up with the same answer of
V2 = 34.9044309296265 (tried both positive and negative for the sake of it)
This is not the correct answer so apparently something else is wrong in my solution although I can't imagine what after trying two calculations with the same answer.
My best guess would be one of the current equations for my nodes...

I took the matrix inverse and multiplied it by the 4 current values. The result was 13.62 V. Is that close to what you expect?

I tried to do the same calculation in excel and couldn't get the same answer you did I got the same 39.90443 answer would you mind showing the numbers that you used to get 13.62V
I got
node 1: -2400 = 43V1 - 15V2 - 4V3 + 0V4
node 2: 0 = -9V1 + 19V2 - 6V3 + 0V4
node 3: 900 = -2V1 - 5V2 + 37V3 - 30V4
node 4: 200 = 0V1 + 0V2 - 20V3 + 21V4
upload_2017-9-23_3-33-46.png

matrix array.
upload_2017-9-23_3-33-58.png

inverse array and multiply with currents.

I get Vx = -34.90443

What are you given as the correct answer?

Mark,
I agree with your 4 nodal equations so I may have made an error when I computed the inverse or did the multiplication.

The Electrician said:
I get Vx = -34.90443

What are you given as the correct answer?
sadly it doesn't give a correct answer even when I have run out of attempts I have to manage to find it and put it in still and it will tell me its correct...

Mark Nussbaum said:
sadly it doesn't give a correct answer even when I have run out of attempts I have to manage to find it and put it in still and it will tell me its correct...
Have you tried other methods, than just Nodal analysis. I used a Spice simulation, and also got -34.904 volts. I first got a different answer, but had one of the current sources +6 Amps instead of -6 as in the problem. I am wondering why they had the polarities like that. Sources pointing different ways, some positive, some negative. Then the voltage measurement has positive on the bottom... Weird. Can you email the professor for advice or technical assistance? That's one bad thing about these automated homework assignments. One coding error and everybody is getting it wrong.

Likes Mark Nussbaum
I'm quite certain that you have the correct result for V2. Did you try putting in the other 3 node voltages? Maybe someone confused voltages in the problem answer. Occasionally, course materials make a mistake; this may be one of those times.

I emailed him and in fact the correct answer is indeed -34.9044V it appeared to be some sort of coding error but is fixed now thanks all for your help.

Likes scottdave
scottdave said:
Have you tried other methods, than just Nodal analysis. I used a Spice simulation, and also got -34.904 volts. I first got a different answer, but had one of the current sources +6 Amps instead of -6 as in the problem. I am wondering why they had the polarities like that. Sources pointing different ways, some positive, some negative. Then the voltage measurement has positive on the bottom... Weird. Can you email the professor for advice or technical assistance? That's one bad thing about these automated homework assignments. One coding error and everybody is getting it wrong.
I'll have to take a look at Spice Simulation it sounds very helpful for troubleshooting the problems.

1. What is nodal analysis and how is it used in scientific research?

Nodal analysis is a mathematical method used to analyze complex systems by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts. It is commonly used in scientific research to model and study the behavior of various systems, such as electrical circuits, chemical reactions, and biological networks.

2. How do matrices play a role in nodal analysis?

Matrices are an essential part of nodal analysis as they provide a way to represent and manipulate the various elements and connections in a system. By using matrices, nodal analysis allows for the efficient calculation and solution of complex equations and systems.

3. What are the benefits of using nodal analysis over other methods?

Nodal analysis offers several advantages over other methods, such as mesh analysis or circuit laws. It allows for the simplification of complex systems, reduces the number of equations needed to solve a problem, and can be easily automated using computer software.

4. Are there any limitations to nodal analysis?

While nodal analysis is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It is best suited for linear systems and may not be as accurate for highly non-linear systems. It also requires a strong understanding of matrix algebra and may be more time-consuming for larger systems.

5. How can nodal analysis be applied in different fields of science?

Nodal analysis has a wide range of applications in various fields of science. In electrical engineering, it is used to analyze and design circuits. In chemistry, it can be used to model and predict the behavior of chemical reactions. In biology, it is used to study complex biological networks and their interactions. It can also be applied in fields such as economics, transportation, and social networks.