Find the current using Nodal Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses using nodal analysis to find the current i and the equations involved, including V = I * R. A solution is attempted using three equations to find V1, V2, and V3, but an error is made in the first equation. It is suggested to use a single supernode instead of two and to use the ground node for the third equation.
Fatima Hasan

Homework Statement

screenshot_25.png

Find i using Nodal Analysis.

Homework Equations

V = I * R

The Attempt at a Solution

screenshot_24.png

solve (1) , (2) , and (3) to find V1 , V2 ,and V3
V1 = 50/3 = 16.67 V
V2 = 80/3 = 26.67 V
V3 = 40 V
40 - 80/3 = 5i
i = 2.667 A
However , the correct answer is 1.522 A .. I don't know where is my mistake.

Attachments

• screenshot_25.png
    screenshot_25.png
    19 KB · Views: 692
  • screenshot_24.png
    screenshot_24.png
    12.3 KB · Views: 647
Physics news on Phys.org
Your first equation should be V1-V2=10, since V1 is at a higher potential than V2.
Where does the first term in your first supernode equation come from?
Hint: Once you fix your first two node equations, you can use the ground node for the third equation.

Last edited:
Why did you choose to employ two supernodes when it would seem that a single one would suffice?

1. What is Nodal Analysis?

Nodal Analysis is a method used in circuit analysis to determine the voltage and current in a circuit by calculating the voltage at each node or connection point in the circuit. It is based on Kirchhoff's Current Law, which states that the sum of currents entering a node must equal the sum of currents leaving the node.

2. How do you use Nodal Analysis to find the current in a circuit?

To use Nodal Analysis, you first need to identify all the nodes in the circuit and label them. Then, write down the equations for Kirchhoff's Current Law for each node. Next, solve the equations simultaneously to find the voltage at each node. Finally, use Ohm's Law to calculate the current at each node.

3. What are the advantages of using Nodal Analysis?

Nodal Analysis is a powerful method for analyzing circuits because it can be used to solve complex circuits with multiple sources and resistors. It also allows for easy visualization of the circuit by breaking it down into smaller parts.

4. Are there any limitations to using Nodal Analysis?

One limitation of Nodal Analysis is that it can be time-consuming and tedious for large circuits. Another limitation is that it assumes all the nodes in the circuit are connected, so it may not be suitable for circuits with floating nodes or open circuits.

5. Can Nodal Analysis be applied to circuits with non-linear elements?

Nodal Analysis can only be applied to circuits with linear elements, such as resistors. Non-linear elements, such as diodes and transistors, require more complex methods of analysis. However, Nodal Analysis can still be used to analyze circuits with non-linear elements if they are approximated as linear elements within a small range of operation.