What am I doing wrong? Thermochemistry

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with calculating the heat per mole of CO2 produced for octane. After balancing the equation and subtracting the heat of water produced, the speaker divided it by the number of moles and got an answer of -359.5 KJ/mol. However, this is not one of the given choices and the speaker is unsure of where they went wrong. They ask for help from others and mention the enthalpies they used in their calculation. Ultimately, they find better data and get a more accurate answer of -679 KJ/mol.
ace123
[SOLVED] What am I doing wrong? Thermochemistry

1. Calculate the heat per mole of CO2 produced for octane.

2. I just balanced the equation and calculated the total heat produced. Subtracted the heat of water produced from it. Then took that and divided it by the number of moles.

2(C8H18) + 5O2====> 16CO2 + 18H20

3. My answer was -359.5 KJ/mol. But that's not one of the choices. So what did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you throw in all the enthalpies you used in the calculation, that'll make it much easier to debug any errors.

Also, what are the choices?

PS: Shouldn't that be 25 O2?

Last edited:
Yes, it is 25 O2 sorry for that. The enthalpies I used:

octane- -296 KJ
H2O- -286 KJ
CO2- -394 KJ

Their are 9 choices
all in KJ/mol

Last edited:
Looks to me like it should come out around -610kJ/mol. What data are you expected to use? Bond enthalpies, combustion enthalpies, calorific values...there are many ways to skin the bird.

Edit: that should be -670kJ/mol (approximately) - closest option is -684kJ/mol

Edit2: Found better data; now I get -679kJ/mol

Last edited:
How did you do it? I did combustion enthalpies

Edit: I just did it again and i got -690 KJ/mol I have no clue how i kept getting -359:redface:

Edit (part 2): Thank you

Last edited:

Related to What am I doing wrong? Thermochemistry

1. What is Thermochemistry?

Thermochemistry is a branch of physical chemistry that deals with the study of the relationship between heat and other forms of energy in chemical reactions and processes.

2. Why is it important to understand Thermochemistry?

Thermochemistry helps us understand the energy changes that occur during chemical reactions, which is crucial for predicting and controlling the outcome of chemical processes. It also provides insights into the stability and reactivity of substances.

3. What are some common mistakes when studying Thermochemistry?

Some common mistakes when studying Thermochemistry include not considering the sign of the energy change (endothermic or exothermic), not accounting for the energy required for phase changes, and not using the correct units for energy (Joules or kilojoules).

4. How can I improve my understanding of Thermochemistry?

To improve your understanding of Thermochemistry, it is important to have a strong foundation in basic chemistry concepts such as stoichiometry, energy, and heat transfer. Additionally, practicing problems and seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial.

5. What are some real-world applications of Thermochemistry?

Thermochemistry has many real-world applications, including determining the energy efficiency of engines and power plants, designing and optimizing chemical processes, and understanding the energy involved in food and nutrition. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as environmental science, materials science, and pharmaceuticals.