What are IC50 and CTC50 in cancer biology?

In summary, the MTT assay was used to determine the cytotoxicity of the extract of seeds of D. stramonium on MCF7 cells. The cells were incubated with varying concentrations of the extract for 48 hours and their viability was measured using the absorbance at 570 nm. The concentration required for a 50% inhibition of viability (IC50) was determined graphically. CTC50, which stands for Common toxicity criteria 50, is equivalent to IC50 and represents the concentration of a drug that can kill 50% of total cells or inhibit 50% of cell growth. The definition of IC50 may vary in different papers depending on the methods used in the study.
TytoAlba95
Here's an excerpt from a cancer biologyhttps://www.antiox.org/article/78:
MTT assay
The Cytotoxicity of extract of seeds of D. stramonium on MCF7cells was
determined by the MTT assay according to the method of Mosmann.
Cells (1 × 105/well) were plated in 100 μL of medium/well in 96-well
plates. After 48 h incubation the cell reaches the confluence. Then, cells
were incubated in the presence of various concentrations of the extract
in 0.1% DMSO for 48 h at 37°C. After removal of the extract solution,
cells were washed with phosphate-buffered saline (pH 7.4) and 20μL/well
(5mg/mL) of 0.5% 3-(4,5-dimethyl-2-thiazolyl)-2,5-diphenyl-tetrazolium
bromide (MTT) in phosphate buffered saline solution was added. After
4 h incubation, 0.04 M isopropanol was added. Viable cells were determined
by the absorbance at 570 nm with reference at 655 nm. Measurements
were performed in 3 times, and the concentration required for
a 50% inhibition of viability (IC50) was determined graphically. Absorbance
at 570 nm was measured with a microplate reader (Bio-Rad, Richmond,
CA), using wells without sample containing cells as blanks. All experiments
were performed in triplicate. The effect of the samples on the
proliferation of human breast cancer cells was expressed as the % cell
viability, using the following formula:

Is CTC50 and IC50 the same, in cancer biology.
According to this book, CTC50 (Common toxicity criteria 50) is the concentration of drug which can kill 50% of total cells/ inhibit 50% of the cell growth.

Here's a link to a paper which shows the calculation of CTC50, which I don't completely understand.

Biology news on Phys.org
Based on the definition of CTC50 you have provided, it seems to be equivalent to IC50 (I commonly see IC50 in papers, but I have not seen the term CTC50 used before). The definition of IC50 itself is somewhat flexible and can be somewhat different in different papers depending on the exact methods used in the study.

Likes TytoAlba95
Ygggdrasil said:
Based on the definition of CTC50 you have provided, it seems to be equivalent to IC50 (I commonly see IC50 in papers, but I have not seen the term CTC50 used before). The definition of IC50 itself is somewhat flexible and can be somewhat different in different papers depending on the exact methods used in the study.
Thank you. This resolves my problem. :)

What is IC50 in cancer biology?

IC50 stands for half maximal inhibitory concentration and is a measure of the effectiveness of a drug in inhibiting a specific biological or biochemical process. In cancer biology, IC50 is often used to determine the concentration of a drug that is needed to inhibit the growth of cancer cells by 50%.

What is CTC50 in cancer biology?

CTC50 stands for half maximal cytotoxic concentration and is a measure of the effectiveness of a drug in killing cancer cells. It is similar to IC50, but instead of inhibiting growth, CTC50 measures the concentration of a drug needed to kill 50% of cancer cells.

How are IC50 and CTC50 determined?

IC50 and CTC50 values are typically determined through laboratory experiments where varying concentrations of a drug are tested on cancer cells. The concentration at which 50% inhibition or 50% cytotoxicity is observed is then calculated and reported as the IC50 or CTC50 value.

Why are IC50 and CTC50 important in cancer biology?

IC50 and CTC50 values are important because they provide information about the potency and effectiveness of a drug in treating cancer. These values can be used to compare different drugs and determine the most effective treatment for a specific type of cancer.

How do IC50 and CTC50 affect cancer treatment?

IC50 and CTC50 values play a crucial role in determining the appropriate dosage of a drug for cancer treatment. These values can also help identify drug resistance in cancer cells and guide the development of new and more effective treatments.

Back