What are latest innovation in Power Engineering?

In summary, the Earth's core is hotter than originally thought lending support for the potential of limitless geothermal energy. Additionally, the connection of so many new "microinverters" and other small scale power generation units to the grid (like some homes and small factories have a lot of solar panels that they use to augment their power, and they can feed that power back into the grid if they are generating more power than they need at certain times...) has led to an increase in the reliability of the grid.
propelera
Hi guys. I am studying on Power Engineering and there is going to be a small conference in my University connected to my subject, so I thought I would take a place too. I Googled for a while about innovations in Power Engineering and found nothing, so can you please tell me what are some interesting news in this subject to make speech about?

Engineering news on Phys.org
propelera said:
Hi guys. I am studying on Power Engineering and there is going to be a small conference in my University connected to my subject, so I thought I would take a place too. I Googled for a while about innovations in Power Engineering and found nothing, so can you please tell me what are some interesting news in this subject to make speech about?

Can you be more specific about what you mean by "power engineering"? Do you mean like AC Mains power distribution from power plants to factories and homes? Or do you mean like power supplies, power semiconductors, power machinery, etc?

I mean "AC Mains power distribution from power plants to factories and homes", that is what I am interested in.

propelera said:
I mean "AC Mains power distribution from power plants to factories and homes", that is what I am interested in.

Ah. Well, almost certainly the latest innovations in AC Mains power distribution has been the emergence of the "Smart Grid". You can use Google to help you find information on it. Also, the connection of so many new "microinverters" and other small scale power generation units to the grid (like some homes and small factories have a lot of solar panels that they use to augment their power, and they can feed that power back into the grid if they are generating more power than they need at certain times...).

I have experience in the Power (utility) industry and Power Electronics -> I had a long post but realized how I need to make that thought happen on my own. So in relation to Berkman - a good discussion would be "How are Smart Grid and Renewables forcing change in the Power Utility Industry?"

For example : How does the utility and the rest of the world view reliability : carried to the smart grid : reliability of PCs vs Pole Mount Transformers...

Oh ... a bunch of corporate lingo like "disruptive" and "game changing" -- can be added.

OH - my name is not related to wind energy - I am a windsurfer.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for suggestions, I think I would gather information about "Smart Grid", what advantages and disadvantages it has and how to fix those disadvantages, how can my government implement this in my country, and so on ... Again thank you for giving me great thoughts

Peruse this site , maybe there'll be an article of interest.

http://www.power-eng.com/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the latest trend in renewable energy sources?

The latest trend in renewable energy sources is the increasing use of solar and wind power. These sources are becoming more accessible and affordable, making them popular choices for power generation. Additionally, advancements in technology are allowing for more efficient and reliable use of these renewable energy sources.

2. How are smart grids revolutionizing power engineering?

Smart grids are transforming the way power is generated, distributed, and consumed. These advanced systems use digital communication and automation to improve the efficiency and reliability of the power grid. They also allow for better integration of renewable energy sources and enable consumers to monitor and manage their energy usage.

3. What role does energy storage play in power engineering?

Energy storage is becoming increasingly important in power engineering. It allows for the storage of excess energy generated from renewable sources, which can then be used during times of high demand. This helps to balance the supply and demand of electricity and makes the power grid more stable and resilient.

4. How are electric vehicles impacting power engineering?

The rise of electric vehicles is having a significant impact on power engineering. As more vehicles transition to electric power, there will be an increased demand for electricity. This will require upgrades to the power grid, including the development of charging infrastructure and the implementation of smart grid technologies to manage the increased load.

5. What are the latest advancements in energy efficiency for buildings?

The latest advancements in energy efficiency for buildings include the use of smart building technologies, such as automated lighting and heating systems, as well as green building design principles. These advancements can significantly reduce energy consumption and lower the overall environmental impact of buildings.