What are linear combinations and linear operators in differential equations?

In summary, In a differential equations course, the chapter on "linear differential equations: basic theory" discusses the concepts of linear combination and linear operator. A linear combination involves only multiplication by numbers and addition or subtraction, while a linear operator "preserves" operations such as matrix multiplication, differentiation, and integration. These concepts are important in understanding and solving linear differential equations.
JJBladester
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I am in a differential equations course currently. The chapter I'm reading is "linear differerntial equations: basic theory". The words linear combination and linear operator are used.

Homework Equations

L{[tex]\alpha[/tex]f(x) + [tex]\beta[/tex]g(x)} = [tex]\alpha[/tex]L(f(x)) + [tex]\beta[/tex]L(g(x))

The Attempt at a Solution

I forgot what the quick and easy definition of "linear combination was. I seem to remember something about "closed under addition and scalar multiplication". Perhaps somebody could help me re-learn this concept. I took Calc III and Linear Algebra and passed with flying colors but time has eaten my brain.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A linear combination of, say, x1, x2, ..., xn must involve only multiplication by numbers and addition or subtraction: a1x1+ a2x2+ ...+ anxn where every "a" is a number. Anything more complicated than just "multiply by numbers and add", for example x2 or x/y or cos(x) is NOT linear.

A linear operator is an operator that "preserves" the operations: T(ax+ by)= aT(x)+ bT(y) where a and b are numbers. Matrix multiplication of vectors, differentiation of functions and integration of functions are examples of linear operators.

Related to What are linear combinations and linear operators in differential equations?

1. What is a linear combination?

A linear combination is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying each element in a set of numbers by a constant and then adding the results together. This is often represented using the notation a1x1 + a2x2 + ... + anxn, where a1, a2, ..., an are the constants and x1, x2, ..., xn are the elements being multiplied.

2. What is the purpose of a linear combination?

The purpose of a linear combination is to create a new set of numbers by combining existing sets of numbers in a specific way. This allows for the manipulation and analysis of data in various fields, such as mathematics, physics, and economics.

3. How is a linear combination used in real-life situations?

A linear combination is used in many real-life situations, such as calculating the average price of a stock portfolio, determining the optimal combination of ingredients in a recipe, and predicting the trajectory of a projectile in physics. It is also commonly used in data analysis and machine learning algorithms.

4. What is the difference between a linear combination and a linear transformation?

A linear combination involves combining existing sets of numbers using multiplication and addition, while a linear transformation involves transforming a set of numbers using operations such as rotation, reflection, and scaling. In other words, a linear combination creates a new set of numbers, while a linear transformation changes the properties of an existing set of numbers.

5. How is a linear combination related to linear independence?

In linear algebra, a set of vectors is considered linearly independent if no vector in the set can be represented as a linear combination of the other vectors in the set. This means that the vectors are unique and cannot be created through a linear combination of other vectors. Linear independence is important in linear combinations because it determines the number of possible combinations that can be created from a set of vectors.