Linear Differential Equations and Linear Operator Problem

In summary, the student is trying to solve a non-homogeneous differential equation and is having difficulty. They are using a linear combination of the y's to try to find the constants, but the answer is incorrect.
whitegirlandrew

Homework Statement

I'm not sure how to approach this. The question involves linear operators and a non-homogenous differential equation.
Here is the question:
https://s15.postimg.org/cdmw80157/Capture.png

Homework Equations

They are given in the question

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea on how to approach it. I was thinking something along the lines of setting c1*y1+c2*y2+c3*y3 as a linear combination and setting them equal to the non-homongenous term g(x). Then i can find the values of c1,c2,c3.

Physics news on Phys.org
whitegirlandrew said:

Homework Statement

I'm not sure how to approach this. The question involves linear operators and a non-homogenous differential equation.
Here is the question:
https://s15.postimg.org/cdmw80157/Capture.png

Homework Equations

They are given in the question

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea on how to approach it. I was thinking something along the lines of setting c1*y1+c2*y2+c3*y3 as a linear combination and setting them equal to the non-homongenous term g(x). Then i can find the values of c1,c2,c3.

[Edited] You want to take a linear combination of the ##L(y_i)##'s (the right hand side of the equations) equal to ##g(x)##, not the ##y_i##'s themselves. Then use your constants to build the particular solution from the ##y_i##'s.

Last edited:
I did L(c1y1+c2y2+c3y3)=g(x)=c1*L(y1)+c2*L(y2)+c3*L(y3)
Then I sub in the L(y1), L(y2), and L(y3) for what was given to me. This leads me to find the constants. Then c1=10/12, c2=0, and c3=5/6.
However this was wrong.

whitegirlandrew said:
I did L(c1y1+c2y2+c3y3)=g(x)=c1*L(y1)+c2*L(y2)+c3*L(y3)
Then I sub in the L(y1), L(y2), and L(y3) for what was given to me. This leads me to find the constants. Then c1=10/12, c2=0, and c3=5/6.
However this was wrong.
I corrected my reply while you were looking at it. Sorry. See if it makes sense now.

Ah I see. I got the question wrong so I don't know the answer. I will try this once the solution comes out. Thanks for the help.

1. What is a linear differential equation?

A linear differential equation is an equation that involves a dependent variable, its derivatives, and possibly other independent variables, all in a linear fashion. This means that the highest power of the dependent variable and its derivatives is 1.

2. How do you solve a linear differential equation?

To solve a linear differential equation, you must first put it in standard form by isolating the dependent variable and its derivatives on one side of the equation. Then, you can use techniques such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or substitution to find the solution.

3. What is a linear operator problem?

A linear operator problem is a problem that involves finding a function that satisfies a given linear differential equation and a set of initial or boundary conditions. The linear operator is the mathematical operation that transforms the function into another function, and the problem is to find the function that makes the equation true.

4. What are the applications of linear differential equations and linear operator problems?

Linear differential equations and linear operator problems have many applications in physics, engineering, and other areas of science. They are used to model and understand various phenomena such as electrical circuits, population growth, and chemical reactions.

5. What is the difference between a linear and a non-linear differential equation?

A linear differential equation has a linear relationship between the dependent variable and its derivatives, while a non-linear differential equation does not. This means that the highest power of the dependent variable or its derivatives in a non-linear equation can be greater than 1, making it more difficult to solve analytically.