What are my chances getting into masters program?

In summary, the person asking the questions has studied for three years in a community college and had some struggles, but has now transferred to a university and is doing well as a physics major. They are planning to apply for a research internship and ultimately pursue a Master's degree in a good university in Japan or England. They are concerned about their chances of getting into a good Master's program given their history of withdrawals and ask for advice and suggestions. The expert advises that they should aim for another semester or two of good performance and minimize any further withdrawals. They also mention the importance of good grades, letters of recommendation, research experience, and standardized test scores for getting into a graduate program.
PHY2000
Hi
i studied for three years in a community college, i withdrew from my second year i also withdrew from three other classes from my third year, i transferred to a SUNY university, did horribly my first semester withdrew from two classes.
now i begin my junior year as a physics major, and things have dramatically improved, basically the reasons that caused the mess have been removed and I am in a much better position, i will not bore you with stating them since they'll take too long to explain, i typed that so you will not say "your not good enough, or you haven't had the appropiate preparation so you should quit", which is a perfectly reasonable thing to say given my history but i proved this semester that i can work hard, so i ask you to take the point of view that i have the same potential as most physics majors.
im doing well in my classes, even though they are advanced and certainly the hardest i have ever taken, so now i want to do a masters in a good university in japan or in england (because i want to see the world!) so that i can maximize my chances of getting into one of the the best univerisites for my phd.
im already planning to apply next summer to get a research internship. i know research is important and that i need good letters of recommendation, in addition to doing well on the GRE and a good gpa. assuming i can get those, what do you think my chances are of getting into a good masters program given my history? also any advice or suggestions are more than welcome.
thank you for taking the time to read.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you write
PHY2000 said:
even though they are advanced and certainly the hardest i have ever taken
are you taking graduate classes, or conventional undergraduate physics courses?

It's good to hear that you're overcome hurdles that were keeping you from doing well, but given the history you describe I would want to see another semester or two of good performance before assigning probabilities of success in Master's programs.

You're going to want to stop racking up withdraws, it sounds like you already have quite a few.

I had 5, all at CC. Two for physics courses, two for math courses and one GE. I had to travel for work at inopportune times, and had to withdraw. That was one of the reasons I quit my job. I also had A's in all the courses prior to a W. Re-earned A's after retaking the courses, and no one really cared.

What you don't want to do is demonstrate a pattern of withdraws over a long period of time. Things happen, but things shouldn't be happening ever semester. It sounds like you "figured" out whatever was ailing you, assuming you get good grades, have good LOR, research experince, and decent standardized test scores you should be able to get into a gradute program. If any of those aren't true, it because much harder. If your GPA is below 3.0 physics gradute becomes much more impossible.

Why did you never respond to any of the other threads you've created?

1. What are the minimum GPA and GRE scores required for admission?

The minimum GPA and GRE scores required for admission vary depending on the specific program and university. It is best to check the admission requirements of the program you are interested in to determine the minimum scores needed. Additionally, other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements may also be considered in the admission decision.

2. Is work experience required for admission to a master's program?

Work experience is not always required for admission to a master's program, but it can be beneficial. Many programs value real-world experience and may look favorably upon applicants who have relevant work experience in their field of study. However, if you do not have work experience, you can still be considered for admission based on other factors such as academic achievements and research experience.

3. How important are letters of recommendation for admission?

Letters of recommendation are an essential part of the application process for a master's program. They provide insights into your academic abilities, work ethic, and potential for success in the program. It is important to choose recommenders who know you well and can speak to your strengths and qualifications for the program.

4. Are there any specific prerequisite courses required for admission?

Prerequisite courses vary depending on the program and university. Some programs may require specific courses in a related field, while others may not have any specific prerequisites. It is best to check the admission requirements of the program you are interested in to determine if there are any prerequisite courses you need to complete before applying.

5. Can I apply to multiple master's programs at the same time?

Yes, you can apply to multiple master's programs at the same time. However, it is important to make sure that you meet the admission requirements for each program and that they align with your academic and career goals. Applying to multiple programs can increase your chances of being accepted, but it is important to put effort into each application and only apply to programs that you are genuinely interested in.