What are some fun and interesting data sets to explore?

In summary, the conversation starts with someone looking for data on something fun or interesting, but has only been able to find boring things like coin toss results. They ask if anyone knows of a website with real data on something fun or interesting. Another person clarifies that they need a data set with 30-50 non-random values from an experiment or survey. The conversation then shifts to discussing the odds of two people in a room of 30, 40, or 50 random persons sharing the same birthday, and a link to a website with such data is shared.
Shay10825
Hi everyone :smile: ! I have been looking for some data about something fun or interesting. I've only been able to find boring things like the results to a coin toss. Does anyone know of a website that has real data on something fun or interesting?

~Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean random numbers, or random results?

I need a data set with 30 - 50 values. It is not random. I need the data from and experiment or survey.

What are the odds that two people in a room of 30 random persons share the same birthday (date and month) ? Also figure out for 40 and 50. (you could start with a google search)

See if the results surprise you.

Related to What are some fun and interesting data sets to explore?

1. What is "Fun or Interesting Data"?

"Fun or Interesting Data" refers to any data that is unique, surprising, or intriguing in some way. It can range from facts and statistics to visual representations and patterns.

2. How can I find "Fun or Interesting Data"?

There are many different sources for "Fun or Interesting Data." You can search for data sets on websites like Kaggle or Data.gov, read articles and studies from reputable sources, or even collect your own data through surveys or experiments.

3. Why is "Fun or Interesting Data" important?

"Fun or Interesting Data" can be important for a variety of reasons. It can help us gain new insights and knowledge, challenge our assumptions and beliefs, or simply provide entertainment and engage our curiosity.

4. How can I use "Fun or Interesting Data" in my work as a scientist?

As a scientist, you can use "Fun or Interesting Data" in many ways. It can be used to support your research and findings, spark new ideas and hypotheses, or communicate your results to a wider audience in a more engaging way.

5. Can "Fun or Interesting Data" be misleading or inaccurate?

As with any type of data, "Fun or Interesting Data" can be misleading or inaccurate if it is not properly collected, analyzed, or interpreted. It is important to always evaluate the reliability and validity of the data before using it in your work.