What are some recommended books on non-standard quantum mechanical models?

In summary, some recommended books on non-standard quantum mechanical models include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman, and "Quantum Mechanics: A Modern Development" by Leslie E. Ballentine. These books cover various non-standard models, such as relativistic quantum mechanics and multi-particle systems, and provide a comprehensive understanding of the subject. Additionally, "The Quantum Theory of Fields" by Steven Weinberg and "Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell" by A. Zee are also recommended for those interested in advanced topics in non-standard quantum mechanics.
SemM
Gold Member
By fresh42's invitation, I here attach a paper which is related to the post on non-standard qm-models

https://arxiv.org/pdf/cond-mat/9705290

Physics news on Phys.org
SemM said:
By fresh42's invitation, I here attach a paper which is related to the post on non-standard qm-models

https://arxiv.org/pdf/cond-mat/9705290

Nonhermitian quantum mechanics is just quantum mechanics with Hamiltonians that are selfadjoint not in the standard inner product but in a nonstandard one.

A. Neumaier said:
Nonhermitian quantum mechanics is just quantum mechanics with Hamiltonians that are selfadjoint not in the standard inner product but in a nonstandard one.

It's not apparent to me which metric space do they use, and how do they derive physically sound eigenvalues without an inner product.

Thanks!

SemM said:
It's not apparent to me which metric space do they use, and how do they derive physically sound eigenvalues without an inner product.
Actually, I had not looked closely enough at the paper. I thought it was about PT-symmetric quantum mechanics, as in http://aip.scitation.org/doi/pdf/10.1063/1.532860

But the paper is about dissipative quantum mechanics, where the dissipation is modeled by a complex potential, often called an optical potential. In this case, the usual inner product is used, the eigenvalues typically have a nonzero imaginary part related to the decay rate, and eigenvectors are usually no longer orthogonal. Just like in the eigenvalue problem for nonhermitian matrices.

Likes vanhees71 and SemM
A. Neumaier said:
Actually, I had not looked closely enough at the paper. I thought it was about PT-symmetric quantum mechanics, as in http://aip.scitation.org/doi/pdf/10.1063/1.532860

But the paper is about dissipative quantum mechanics, where the dissipation is modeled by a complex potential, often called an optical potential. In this case, the usual inner product is used, the eigenvalues typically have a nonzero imaginary part related to the decay rate, and eigenvectors are usually no longer orthogonal. Just like in the eigenvalue problem for nonhermitian matrices.

I get non-standard values when I consider complex ODE's with similarities to the Schrödinger model except for that they are not equaled to EY, but to zero. It appears that Bender uses a deformed potential, H=p2+x2(ix), where that imaginary component is present. That occurs also in rogue wave models, with imaginary components at the momentum term. I am not sure however, when an ODE has realistic properties - though it gives non-trivial eigenvalues, or when it does not.

Bender writes about this:

The complex quantum mechanical Hamiltonian:

H=p2+x2(ix),

was investigated. Despite the lack of conventional Hermiticity the spectrum of H is real and positive for all e >0. As shown in Fig. 11 in this paper and Fig. 1 of Ref. 1, the spectrum is discrete and each of the energy levels increases as a function of increasing e . We will argue below that the reality of the spectrum is a consequence of PT invariance.

Are you aware of a paper that shows various models of ODE's for quantum physical phenomena (Hermitian or not), except the Schrödinger eqn and the Wave eqn?

Thanks

SemM said:
Do you know of a paper that shows various models of ODE's for quantum physical phenomena, except the Schrödinger eqn and the Wave eqn?
Except for problems with a single degree of freedom (or with only spin degree of freedom), one always has PDEs, not ODEs (or ODEs in function spaces, which is the former in disguise).

In nonrelativistic quantum mechanics based on wave functions you always have the Schroedinger equation, just with different Hamiltonians. The conservative case has a selfadjoint ##H## (in the PT symmetric case with respect to a nonstandard inner product), the dissipative case typically has an optical potential. There are also potentials derived by complex scaling (N. Moiseyev, Quantum theory of resonances: calculating energies, widths and cross-sections by complex scaling, Physics Reports 302.5-6 (1998): 212-293.)

But the dissipative case is often better modeled by using density operators/matrices, then the dynamics is that of a Lindblad equation.

A. Neumaier said:
Except for problems with a single degree of freedom (or with only spin degree of freedom), one always has PDEs, not ODEs (or ODEs in function spaces, which is the former in disguise).

In nonrelativistic quantum mechanics based on wave functions you always have the Schroedinger equation, just with different Hamiltonians. The conservative case has a selfadjoint ##H## (in the PT symmetric case with respect to a nonstandard inner product), the dissipative case typically has an optical potential. There are also potentials derived by complex scaling (N. Moiseyev, Quantum theory of resonances: calculating energies, widths and cross-sections by complex scaling, Physics Reports 302.5-6 (1998): 212-293.)

But the dissipative case is often better modeled by using density operators/matrices, then the dynamics is that of a Lindblad equation.

Yes, the Lindblad equation is required to make the Non-Hermitian matrices time-unitary. A Swedish professor developed them: I wonder why he didn't get a Nobel prize for them. I have found this too:

https://journals.aps.org/prl/pdf/10.1103/PhysRevLett.80.5243

Thanks for that reference, I am downloading it.

You should get your hands on a copy of Moiseyev's book Non-Hermitian Quantum Mechanics.

Likes SemM and dextercioby
DrClaude said:
You should get your hands on a copy of Moiseyev's book Non-Hermitian Quantum Mechanics.
Nice. I didn't know this book. Another useful book on the topic is

V.I. Kukulin, V.M. Krasnopol'sky and I. Horacek,
Theory of Resonances. Principles and Applications,
Kluwer, Dordrecht 1989.

Likes dextercioby
A. Neumaier said:
Nice. I didn't know this book. Another useful book on the topic is

V.I. Kukulin, V.M. Krasnopol'sky and I. Horacek,
Theory of Resonances. Principles and Applications,
Kluwer, Dordrecht 1989.

Have a look at this too:

1. What are non-standard models in QM?

Non-standard models in QM refer to any theories or interpretations of quantum mechanics that deviate from the commonly accepted standard model. These models seek to explain or address the limitations or paradoxes of the standard model, such as the measurement problem or the role of consciousness in quantum phenomena.

2. How do non-standard models differ from the standard model?

Non-standard models often introduce different mathematical frameworks, such as hidden variables or non-locality, to explain quantum phenomena. They also challenge the fundamental assumptions of the standard model, such as wave-particle duality or the probabilistic nature of quantum events.

3. What are some examples of non-standard models in QM?

Some examples of non-standard models in QM include the many-worlds interpretation, the pilot-wave theory, and the de Broglie-Bohm theory. These models offer alternative explanations for quantum phenomena and attempt to resolve the paradoxes and limitations of the standard model.

4. What is the significance of non-standard models in QM?

Non-standard models in QM are significant because they challenge our understanding of the quantum world and offer alternative perspectives on the nature of reality. They also inspire new experiments and research, pushing the boundaries of our knowledge and potentially leading to new breakthroughs in quantum mechanics.

5. Are non-standard models widely accepted in the scientific community?

The acceptance of non-standard models in the scientific community varies. While some physicists and researchers may support and explore these models, others may remain skeptical and adhere to the standard model. Ultimately, the debate and research surrounding non-standard models in QM contribute to the ongoing evolution and understanding of quantum mechanics.