What are some substances toxic to all eukaryotes but not to most prokaryotes?

• Thread starter Simfish
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around potential substances that could be toxic to plants and bacteria, specifically targeting mitochondrial function and cell membranes. Suggestions were made for drugs that could specifically target eukaryotes, such as nuclear import/export, membrane trafficking, and the cytoskeleton, and the possibility of developing compounds that could inhibit animal ribosomes but not bacterial ribosomes. The speaker also inquired about the intended application for these compounds.
Simfish
Gold Member
Some examples I thought about: cyanide, carbon monoxide (although it isn't as toxic to plants as it is to animals), and anything else that disrupts mitochondrial function (though it must be remembered that mitochondria are related to many bacteria)

One suggestion I thought of: what about things that can penetrate the cell membranes of all organisms with a single cell membrane, but might not be able to penetrate the two cell membranes of gram-negative bacteria? Do such substances exist?

PS: I was discussing this issue with NASA Astrobiologist Chris McKay, so any responses would be interesting to him as well.

Biology news on Phys.org
Cyanide would also likely be toxic to aerobic bacteria since cyanide targets cytochrome c oxidase and bacteria also use this enzyme in their electron transport chain.

Thinking about drugs that can penetrate only a single cell membrane but not two cell membranes is a good idea, but I don't know of any drugs with that property.

Some good eukaryote-specific drug targets would include things like nuclear import/export, membrane trafficking, and the cytosketon. For example, taxol inhibits microtubules which are required for cell division in eukaryotes (animals and fungi at least, I'm not 100% sure about plants and protists), but not in prokaryotes.

In theory, it should also be possible to develop compounds that specifically inhibit some enzymes in animals or plants but not bacteria. For example, researchers have discovered a number of compounds that inhibit bacterial ribosomes but not animal ribosomes. Since these drugs rely on the subtle differences between the structures of animal and bacterial ribosomes, it should be possible to screen for or maybe even design molecules that would inhibit animal ribosomes but not bacterial ribosomes (of course, it would require a lot of work to design, synthesize, and test these compounds. I presume you're looking for compounds that are commercially available). Also, one would likely need a cocktail of these compounds (e.g. the animal-specific ribosomal inhibitor might not work against fungi or plants, so you might have to design a fungi-specific and plant-specific ribosomal inhibitors as well)

May I ask what for what application are you planning to use these compounds? It sounds like you have some interesting ideas for experiments planned.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between eukaryotes and prokaryotes?

Eukaryotes are organisms that have a true nucleus and membrane-bound organelles, while prokaryotes are organisms that lack a true nucleus and membrane-bound organelles.

2. Why are some substances toxic to all eukaryotes but not to most prokaryotes?

This is because eukaryotes have more complex cellular structures and processes compared to prokaryotes. These substances may target specific structures or processes that are unique to eukaryotes, making them toxic.

3. What are some examples of substances toxic to all eukaryotes but not to most prokaryotes?

Examples include heavy metals such as mercury and lead, certain antibiotics like penicillin, and some herbicides and pesticides.

4. How do eukaryotes and prokaryotes differ in their response to toxic substances?

Eukaryotes have more sophisticated mechanisms for dealing with toxins, such as detoxification enzymes and membrane transporters. Prokaryotes, on the other hand, may have simpler defense mechanisms or may not be affected by the toxin at all.

5. Are there any exceptions to the generalization that eukaryotes are more vulnerable to toxic substances than prokaryotes?

Yes, there are exceptions. Some prokaryotes, such as bacteria and archaea, have developed resistance to certain toxic substances through genetic mutations or acquiring resistance genes from other organisms. Additionally, some eukaryotes, like extremophiles, have adapted to survive in environments with high levels of toxic substances.