What Are Some Tips for Successful Gardening?

In summary, we put in a huge garden and had a green thumb from the get-go. We still have a garden, although it's a little smaller now. We mainly grow vegetables, fruits, and flowers. I've been a pretty avid gardener at times but not for eating, just for looking.
  • #3,151
The plant does but the peppers seem to have good shading by the leaves.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,152
Pengwuino said:
The plant does but the peppers seem to have good shading by the leaves.
If the peppers got water on them in the sun, the water acts as a magnifying lens.

If it's not sun scaled, it would be a bacterial or fungal problem. Hope it's sunscald.

If you think it's the former, I use a spray of Ortho Garden disease control.

Last edited:
  • #3,153
Monique said:
Thanks for the tips, I'll start fertilizing it a bit every week and see how the plant responds. ...

Notice, Monique, that these orchids are sold in clear plastic containers and that the roots are green. You'll be surprised about the productivity if you put them in clear glass pots, as the roots love light too.

Edit: this shows the idea:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22026080/IMG_8456-1.jpg

I guess I'll separate the daughter after blooming in a few months of the one of the left. On the right some novelty that I found recently.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #3,154
Time for a little update, here are some ripening pods, scorpions:
The last picture is of sweet peppers I put in the ground 3 weeks ago, the sweets grew more in three weeks
than the supers in the first images did in three months, very frustrating. Look at the difference in the size of the plants, the moruga's hottest
currently are the most slow growing but also have the most seeds in the pods.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/3747/15443077.jpg

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/5074/31440929.jpg

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/8721/bhutafterpruning.jpg

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/9118/sweetsq.jpg

Rhody...

• #3,155
Andre said:
Notice, Monique, that these orchids are sold in clear plastic containers and that the roots are green. You'll be surprised about the productivity if you put them in clear glass pots, as the roots love light too.
Good point, never thought of that. I bought the containers, because they were the only ones that I could find with holes in the bottom. How do you water an orchid when in a glass container, you hold it upside down to remove the extra water? Smart presentation in the second picture :smile:

I've relocated the dormant Phal to the bathroom, hopefully it will regain its youth in the humid environment.

The other day I saw blue orchid plants at the flower market, would they be real or dyed? I didn't dare ask, afraid to offend the seller *edit* apparently it's a new technology to inject dye in the flowering stem, I'm not buying that.

Last edited:
  • #3,156
Monique said:
Good point, never thought of that. I bought the containers, because they were the only ones that I could find with holes in the bottom. How do you water an orchid when in a glass container, you hold it upside down to remove the extra water?

The beauty of a clear glass container is that you can see the roots and how moist they are and if there is water on the bottom. You just want to see some condensed water on the glass. When that's (mostly) gone, it's time for a few drops of water. Also, as I learned recently, it's recommended to add a bit of sphagnum in between the bark chips.

Indeed about holes in the pot, as the roots also do photo synthesis, there should be a CO2 source and holes in the glass could provide some circulation. But the decomposing bark and sphagnum also produce some CO2.

The other day I saw blue orchid plants at the flower market, would they be real or dyed? I didn't dare ask, afraid to offend the seller :smile: *edit* apparently it's a new technology to inject dye in the flowering stem, I'm not buying that.

Indeed there are no blue phalaenopsis, and you can see that the leaves also have a blue hue over them. But if you buy them and watch the next blooming period, you're likely going to see white flowers.

There are true (violetish) blue orchids though, in the genus Vanda:

450px-Wanda_blau.JPG

Last edited:
  • #3,157
Andre said:
The beauty of a clear glass container is that you can see the roots and how moist they are and if there is water on the bottom.
Indeed, I like seeing the root system: aesthetically and to keep an eye on their condition. An added advantage: they won't get knocked over so easily in a glass vase. I'll try that out soon.

Indeed there are no blue phalaenopsis, and you can see that the leaves also have a blue hue over them. But if you buy them and watch the next blooming period, you're likely going to see white flowers.
That's exactly what I thought, also the veins were more prominently blue than the flower pedals. It's strange, the previous time I bought something from the seller he was really proud to have the most extensive collection of orchids, I wouldn't expect such 'fake' plants there.

• #3,158
Do all orchids prefer clear containers? I have a couple that I haven't been able to get to bloom yet, wonder if that would help?

• #3,159
NeoDevin said:
Do all orchids prefer clear containers? I have a couple that I haven't been able to get to bloom yet, wonder if that would help?

No not all, but many orchids are epiphytes like most of the popular Phalaenopsis. And their roots are used to (like to have) light.

Other species certainly don't like light on the roots like the Lady's-slipper orchid.

Last edited:
  • #3,160
Our Pink Lady Slippers are quite showy, and they grow in shaded acid soils. They are endangered and do not transplant well, anyway, so they should not be moved. The time to look for these orchids is when the mosquitoes first come out to bite you. Then you head out to the piney woods and get bit over and over again while you try to get pictures. I haven't gone out orchid-hunting since the days of film, so maybe I should try to get some shots next spring.

http://www.google.com/search?q=pink...u5WUCA&sqi=2&ved=0CEgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1099&bih=908

• #3,161
I do container gardening and the sun is too hot for me to set the plants in the direct sun. because the plants are in containers above ground, the roots are surrounded by heat so they get a double whammy. Thier roots are being baked. Even kept well watered, they wilt in direct sun. It's amazing that there is a 20F degree difference between sun and shade.

Between the heat and the squirrels, I'll be suprised if I get anything. The only exception are my jalapenos, they are they only things producing and not being eaten.

• #3,162
I'm having the same problem as Evo with my tomatoes in containers. I have gotten some nice fruit from them though. The tomatoes in the garden are doing much better; lots of BLTs.

• #3,163
dlgoff said:
I'm having the same problem as Evo with my tomatoes in containers. I have gotten some nice fruit from them though. The tomatoes in the garden are doing much better; lots of BLTs.
My tomatoes have gone into suspended animation, tons of obviously pollinated blooms are just sitting there, no tomatoes are growing, but the blossoms don't drop. I have noticed this before, the blossoms don't change for a month or two, then suddenly the tomato will start to grow. If this is the case with my plants due to the heat, I should have a bumper crop starting in the fall, squirrels willing.

• #3,164
Most of the vegetables are stunted this year, but for some reason the broccoli is doing very well. My wife harvested 5 heads this morning, all quite fat and over 6" across. I know we'll have tonight for a steamed vegetable at supper time.

• #3,165
My containers are going crazy, I put a shade over them during the past couple of weeks to keep the direct sun off of them. My squash and sweet potatoes are absolutely insane, the squash is growing about 2 feet a week and I am seeing upwards of 30 set fruit. The sweet potatoes were gnawed on by some deer a month ago, but have rebounded. Picking tomatoes at the rate of 2 a day with a bushel or more getting ready to come due here in a couple of weeks.

• #3,166
Some rain finally came and spared us from a stage-1 drought. Now we'll wait and see if we get more rain or not.

We've got one tomato plant that seems to be doing well. It's growing out of the compost bin next to a squash plant. Both get partial sun - shade in morning and later afternoon, but sun overhead late morning to late afternoon. It'll be interesting to see what they produce.

Meanwhile - late blight has been discovered at a local CSA. It looks like all the tomatoes and potatoes will have be removed. We were fortnate at home not to get contaminated plants a few years ago.

• #3,167
Astronuc said:
Meanwhile - late blight has been discovered at a local CSA. It looks like all the tomatoes and potatoes will have be removed. We were fortnate at home not to get contaminated plants a few years ago.
We got hit by late blight last year and had to strip out tomato plants. My occasional neighbor planted potatoes as well as tomatoes. Not a good idea. If any of her plants develop late blight, she will lose both crops.

When I was a kid my extended family planted potatoes in two fields far from our gardens. That way we always got potatoes (a staple for French and Irish families). One field was high and dry, and the other was on bottom-land at the river's edge, so come drought or heavy rain one field or the other usually beat the odds.

• #3,168
My wife planted Chinese lantern plants in her little rock-walled flower garden. What a miscalculation! That stuff is MEAN! It spreads worse than bee-balm or other mints. If you buy a Chinese lantern plant, be careful where you plant it, because it will be there forever.

• #3,169
turbo said:
My wife planted Chinese lantern plants in her little rock-walled flower garden. What a miscalculation! That stuff is MEAN! It spreads worse than bee-balm or other mints. If you buy a Chinese lantern plant, be careful where you plant it, because it will be there forever.
Oh, I had some of those growing as weeds in the back yard of my old house. I could never get rid of them.

• #3,170
Evo said:
Oh, I had some of those growing as weeds in the back yard of my old house. I could never get rid of them.
One of our nieces dropped in yesterday and wanted a plant. I warned her, and cautioned her to pick a place far away from any plants that she values.

• #3,171
I only planted one row in my garden this year so I could eradicate the Portulaca oleracea.

220px-Portulaca_oleracea.JPG

It looks like PastureGard® HL has done the trick. I'll give the garden a light top till and reapply if necessary.

• #3,172
dlgoff said:
I only planted one row in my garden this year so I could eradicate the Portulaca oleracea.

220px-Portulaca_oleracea.JPG

It looks like PastureGard® HL has done the trick. I'll give the garden a light top till and reapply if necessary.
Rather than spray poison. Why not pick them?
Purslane is a wonderful wild edible.
Did you scroll down your link and read about all their culinary uses?

• #3,173
Pig-weed is impossible to get rid of. It can grow on bare gravel lots with such poor soil...

• #3,174
Ouabache said:
Rather than spray poison. Why not pick them?
Purslane is a wonderful wild edible.
I'd rather eat the dirt they're grow in.

• #3,175
dlgoff said:
I'd rather eat the dirt they're grow in.
Me too. Purslane is not tasty.

• #3,176
turbo said:
Pig-weed is impossible to get rid of. It can grow on bare gravel lots with such poor soil...
This chemical is very potent (1/2 oz/gal) and designed to kill the roots. It's been a week or so and I haven't seen any growing. I'll till the top couple of inches and see if any root nodules sprout. If so, I'll reapply.

• #3,177
Two weeks later and my orchid flower buds haven't opened yet, what would be a usual timeframe for them to develop?

Does anyone own a ZZ plant? I bought a beautiful big plant, but half the plant has already disappeared due to stem rot and the process is continuing. I tried watering it very little, up to the point that one of the plant's underground water sacks completely dried out. Today I pulled out another stem with rot at the bottom. Anyone with experience? My other plants are thriving.

• #3,178
Monique said:
Two weeks later and my orchid flower buds haven't opened yet, what would be a usual timeframe for them to develop?

That takes indeed weeks. Don't despair yet, if the leaves are still nice and smooth, not wrinkled, it should be okay. Maybe take a picture every few days and compare them to see the changes.

Does anyone own a ZZ plant? .. stem rot ...

Used to have one, always healthy, it finally outgrew us, so we left it at one of the many moves. I think that rot / mold means a pest, fungi, bacterea, mites, aphids, white fly etc. It could be that the best cure is replacing.

• #3,179
THEY'RE HERE!

AAARRGGHH!

I found 4 baby hornworms on one of my plants today. Check your plants!

• #3,180
Evo said:
THEY'RE HERE!

AAARRGGHH!

I found 4 baby hornworms on one of my plants today. Check your plants!

Did they look like this?

Worm_with_horn.gif

• #3,181
lisab said:
did they look like this?

http://www.gifs.net/animation11/jobs_and_people/musicians_and_singers/worm_with_horn.gif
yes!

• #3,182
Funny what peppers are capable of eh ? These are trinidad scorpions, notice how some pods appear stunted and shaped differently, these are very hot.
Unpleasant actually, the burn they leave in your throat is like lava.

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/6552/scorpion5.jpg

And speaking of stunted growth, I am pretty sure these are Brain Strains or Butch t's. Note how the pods don't have placenta or seeds in them. Three people who have tried these stunted beauties said, I almost hallucinated from them, I felt like I left my body about one half hour eating them, and my own observation, I have never seen such heat from such a small package. Beware, these were given to me and the person who gave them to me wasn't sure what they were. The experts at THP clued me in with visual proof as to their origins. Smart folk over there...

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/7701/mysterypods1.jpg

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/4596/wiriwiriopen.jpg

I bet some of you have given up on me, the good news is that I haven't given up on me either, just in a big transition in life. When it is all over and settled I will share my journey. It will not be boring I assure you and not without twists and turns. Perhaps some day, my account will help others.

Rhody...

• #3,183
I have not given up on you, Rhody. We all have our travails. In the last few years, personal health issues, and hatred in my wife's family have stressed me incredibly. My garden is a chance at solace. Even just weeding and hoeing are comforting. This year's green pepper plants are stunted and crappy-looking, but they are producing a wonderful crop of peppers - big and firm.

• #3,184
I asked my son what he wanted to grow this year, and he answered pumpkins. So I picked up a package of pumpkin seeds (the package said they were supposed to be GIANT pumpkins), and we started 6 of them indoors, before the ground was thawed. Only five sprouted, which we planted in the garden after the chance of frost was passed. Of those, only one survived longer than a week (I think a rabbit or a cat was involved in the demise of three of them, the other one just spontaneously died). The last one has taken over most of the garden (it actually had another branch, bigger than any of these ones, growing into the neighbor's yard, which eventually broke, and they removed for me), and has only just set a single fruit now. The fruit is looking a little yellow, so I don't know if it will keep growing or not, I hope so.

IMG_0204.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...iI/AAAAAAAADAM/czeVZ7EvCjc/s1057/IMG_0203.JPG

• #3,185
rhody said:
I bet some of you have given up on me, the good news is that I haven't given up on me either, just in a big transition in life.

Your family rhody. We'll be here for you.

Back