What are some useful CFD theory notes for beginners?

In summary, Minger has put together a long compilation of notes from his studies over the past two years. Some of the topics covered include a detailed discussion of a particular CFD theory, wave number analysis, high order discretization, implicit time marching, and more. He has provided a table of contents for easy navigation, and notes that are fully searchable. If you have any questions about any of the information, Minger is more than happy to answer them.
minger
Science Advisor
Here are some notes that I've finally compiled. They are taken over the course of the last two years of study and I've neatly coded them into a pdf by way of LaTeX for your enjoyment. I haven't gotten most of the figures in yet, but all of the equations are there, and most of the text/comments are in.

Somehow it ended up being 114 pages, but the clickable table of contents can be used for fast navigation. I cannot take credit for this, I only typed it. These notes are mostly class notes.

The particular CFD theory shown is fully structured (think brick elements), and includes many interesting topics such as wave number analysis, high order discretization, implicit time marching and more.

Feel free to use in whatever way you feel. Thanks again and enjoy.

http://www.eng.utoledo.edu/~mheminge/CFD_Notes.pdf

If I find time to make any changes, add figures, etc, I'll update that same link.

edit: It is not the greatest reference, but for free it might help answer some questions. You may also notice that as the text goes on, my LaTeX coding gets better, and thus equations and other things start to look better as the text goes on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hey Minger that is great stuff!

Thanks!

awesome.
exactly what i need.
thanks.

thank you so much!

Wow, someone's been busy. Nice work.

Well, I have all of these written notes, and it's the start of a god-knows-how-long process of digitizing them all so they can be searchable. It was also a good way to really really learn Latex.

Don't think I was _too_ busy though, the writing alone took like 8 months trying to knock out a page or two here and there.

Looks goooood minger! :smile:

(You did a ton of typing!)

Hi Minger

I downloaded those notes ages ago, they're really good. I used them a lot in a university project so can you please give me some details of Dr Ray Hixon so I can reference the notes in my bibliography?

Related to What are some useful CFD theory notes for beginners?

1. What is the purpose of CFD Theory Notes - Enjoy?

CFD Theory Notes - Enjoy is a resource for learning about the fundamentals of Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD). It includes notes, examples, and practice problems to help individuals understand the theory behind CFD and how it is applied in real-world scenarios.

2. Who can benefit from using CFD Theory Notes - Enjoy?

CFD Theory Notes - Enjoy is designed for anyone who is interested in learning about CFD, including students, researchers, and professionals in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. It can be used as a supplement to coursework or as a self-study resource.

3. Are the notes in CFD Theory Notes - Enjoy comprehensive?

While CFD Theory Notes - Enjoy covers the basics of CFD theory, it is not meant to be a comprehensive guide. It provides a solid foundation for understanding CFD concepts and can be supplemented with additional resources for a more in-depth understanding.

4. Can I use CFD Theory Notes - Enjoy for practical applications?

CFD Theory Notes - Enjoy focuses on the theory behind CFD. While it may touch on practical applications, it is not intended to be a guide for using CFD software. However, understanding the theory is essential for using CFD effectively in practical applications.

5. Is CFD Theory Notes - Enjoy free to use?

Yes, CFD Theory Notes - Enjoy is completely free to use. It is a public resource aimed at promoting the understanding of CFD theory. However, some of the practice problems may require access to CFD software, which may have associated costs.