What are Stubbs in the CMS Tracker?

• I
  • Thread starter Silviu
  • Start date
In summary, a stub is a short track that is formed by an accumulation of energy in certain cells within a layer of the tracker in the CMS detector. It is necessary for tracks to have stubs in at least four different layers for the primary vertex finding task. However, it should be noted that accumulation of energy is typically found in a calorimeter, not a tracker.
Silviu
Hello! I am reading some stuff about the tracker of a detector in a particle collider and I am not sure I know what stubs are. They appear without any definition: "To be used for the primary vertex finding task, the resulting tracks must have stubs in at least four different tracker layers". I didn't really find a definition online. From this sentence I guess a stub is like an accumulation of energy in certain cells inside a layer of a tracker (those cells form the stub) but I am not totally sure. Can someone clarify this? (I am reading about the CMS detector) Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
A stub is a short track.

Accumulation of energy is something you'll find in a calorimeter, not a tracker.
The CMS tracking detector has several layers where both sides are instrumented, so you can look for places in the detector where both sides had a hit at the same place.

What are Stubbs in the CMS Tracker?

Stubbs, also known as stubs, are short tracks of particles that are detected in the CMS Tracker. They are created when high energy particles pass through the tracker and leave behind a small amount of energy, which is then measured and recorded.

How are Stubbs used in the CMS Tracker?

Stubbs are used to reconstruct the path of particles as they pass through the tracker. By combining the information from multiple stubs, scientists can determine the trajectory and momentum of the particles, which can help identify the type of particle and its properties.

How accurate are Stubbs in the CMS Tracker?

Stubbs are very accurate in detecting the energy left behind by particles. The CMS Tracker has a high resolution, allowing it to detect even small amounts of energy, resulting in precise measurements of the particles' paths.

Can Stubbs be used to identify specific particles?

Yes, Stubbs can be used to identify specific particles based on their trajectory and energy. Different particles will leave behind different patterns of stubs, which can be used to distinguish between them.

Are Stubbs the only method for particle detection in the CMS Tracker?

No, Stubbs are not the only method for particle detection in the CMS Tracker. The tracker also uses other components, such as silicon detectors, to measure the energy and position of particles. Stubbs are just one part of the overall particle detection process in the CMS Tracker.