What are the best solid-state lasers for optical experiments in nano materials?

In summary, the speaker is new to the forum and seeking help for their PhD in Chemical Physics on the topic of nano materials. They have the opportunity to upgrade their lab to newer technologies and are looking for solid-state lasers with a wavelength range of 400nm to NIR (1500nm) and intensities of 20mW or more. They are asking for suggestions on where to begin and which companies to consider.
shogun_gm
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, and probably i post in the wrong place, but i will appreciate your help.

I do my PhD in Chemical Physics on the topic of nano materials, we do all kind of optical experiments (PL, LT, Confocal microscopy and so on), and till now used a very old laser Ar ion and TiSp.

finally we have the opportunity to upgrade the lab to newer technologies and we decided to go for an array of solid-state lasers instead of using two-three powerful lasers for all the systems.

now their are a lot of different ones to choose from, what we need is lasers with span of wavelength from 400nm all to the NIR (1500nm) with intensities of 20mW and more.

can you suggest me where can i start.

thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks.

Maybe i didn't write the question correctly :)

I know a lot of companies, Thorlab, Coherent, Cobolt and so on.

what i wish to know, is from your experience, what should i choose (its like choosing a new computer, on the paper they are all the same :) )

What is a laser recommendation?

A laser recommendation is a suggestion or guidance given by a scientist or expert in the field of lasers on which type of laser would be most suitable for a specific application or experiment.

Why is a laser recommendation necessary?

A laser recommendation is necessary because there are many different types of lasers available, each with their own unique properties and capabilities. Choosing the wrong laser for a specific application can result in inefficient or ineffective results.

How is a laser recommendation determined?

A laser recommendation is determined by considering several factors such as the wavelength of light needed, power requirements, beam quality, and any specific features or functionalities required for the experiment or application.

What are the common types of lasers recommended?

The most commonly recommended types of lasers include gas lasers, solid-state lasers, and semiconductor lasers. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages and is suitable for different applications.

Can I trust a laser recommendation from a scientist?

Yes, scientists are experts in the field of lasers and have extensive knowledge and experience in choosing the right type of laser for different applications. However, it is always important to discuss and consider all the factors involved before making a final decision.