What are the best textbooks for learning about supergravity?

In summary, supergravity is a theoretical framework that combines general relativity and supersymmetry to describe gravity as a unified field theory. It has various applications in theoretical physics, such as unifying the four fundamental forces, explaining mass origin, and understanding black hole behavior. Its main difference from general relativity is the incorporation of supersymmetry, which predicts additional particles and symmetries. While there is no direct experimental evidence for supergravity, some of its predictions have been indirectly confirmed. Recommended textbooks on the topic include "Supergravity" by Freedman and Van Proeyen, "Introduction to Supergravity" by Van Nieuwenhuizen, and "Supergravity: Theory and Applications" by Ketov.
Korybut
Hello all!

I am trying to find self-consistent introduction to current state of quantum N=8 d=4 supergravity. Other books on supergravity are very welcome as well

Physics news on Phys.org
I like Henning Samtleben's notes and used Van Proeyen's textbook and notes a lot, but these are more general about sugra.

I mainly needed them to construct Newtonian supergravity 😁

1. What is supergravity?

Supergravity is a theory that combines the principles of general relativity and supersymmetry to describe the interactions between particles at the quantum level. It is a key component of modern theories of particle physics and cosmology.

2. Why is it important to learn about supergravity?

Supergravity is important because it provides a framework for understanding the fundamental forces and particles of the universe. It also has implications for theories of gravity, such as string theory, and can help us better understand the early universe and the nature of black holes.

3. What are some recommended textbooks for learning about supergravity?

Some popular textbooks for learning about supergravity include "Supergravity" by Daniel Z. Freedman and Antoine Van Proeyen, "Introduction to Supergravity" by Peter van Nieuwenhuizen, and "Supergravity and Superstrings" by Pierre Binetruy.

4. Are there any online resources available for learning about supergravity?

Yes, there are several online resources available for learning about supergravity, including lecture notes, video lectures, and online courses. Some recommended resources include the Supergravity School lectures by Sergio Ferrara and the online course "Supergravity and String Theory" by Cumrun Vafa on edX.

5. How can I determine which textbook is best for me?

The best textbook for learning about supergravity will depend on your level of understanding and your specific interests. It is recommended to read reviews and previews of different textbooks, and to consult with a mentor or teacher for their recommendation based on your background and goals.