What Are the Eigenfunctions for the 1D Infinite Square Well?

In summary, for the 1D infinite square well with boundaries -L/2 and +L/2, the ground and first excited state eigenfunctions are given by $$\psi_1(x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}\cos{\frac{\pi x}{L}}$$ and $$\psi_2(x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}\sin{\frac{2\pi x}{L}}$$ respectively. These solutions can be obtained by solving the Schrodinger equation with the appropriate boundary conditions.
andre220

Homework Statement

Find the ground and first excited state eigenfunctions of for the 1D infinite square well with boundaries -L/2 and +L/2

Homework Equations

$$\frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}\psi(x) = E\psi(x)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I know how to solve it and get that $$\psi_1(x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}\cos{\frac{\pi x}{L}}$$. Next, I also know that $$\psi_2(x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}\sin{\frac{2\pi x}{L}}$$ one could reason this by arguing that each eigenfunction should have ##n-1## nodes. However, what is a more mathematical reasoning to ##\psi## for a given excited state. I am sure it is quite simple, I just can't seem to see it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure exactly what your question is. If you solve the Schrodinger equation with the appropriate boundary conditions — that is, solve the math problem — those are two of the solutions you get.

Related to What Are the Eigenfunctions for the 1D Infinite Square Well?

1. What is a 1D Infinite Potential Well?

A 1D Infinite Potential Well is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to represent a particle confined to a one-dimensional space with infinitely high potential energy barriers at the boundaries.

2. How does a 1D Infinite Potential Well work?

In a 1D Infinite Potential Well, the particle is allowed to exist within the boundaries of the well, but it cannot escape due to the infinitely high potential energy barriers. The particle's behavior is described by the Schrödinger equation, which determines the probability of finding the particle at different locations within the well.

3. What are the properties of a particle in a 1D Infinite Potential Well?

The properties of a particle in a 1D Infinite Potential Well include discrete energy levels, where the energy of the particle is quantized, and the probability of finding the particle at any given point within the well is non-zero. The energy levels are determined by the size of the well and the mass of the particle.

4. What is the significance of the 1D Infinite Potential Well in quantum mechanics?

The 1D Infinite Potential Well is a simple model that helps us understand the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It introduces key concepts such as quantization of energy and probability, which are fundamental to understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

5. What are the limitations of the 1D Infinite Potential Well model?

The 1D Infinite Potential Well is a simplified model and does not accurately represent the behavior of real-world particles. It assumes that the potential energy barriers are infinitely high, which is not physically possible. It also does not take into account the effects of external forces or interactions between particles.