What Are the Formulas for Calculating Height in Synchronous Orbit?

In summary, to determine the height above the planet Mars for a synchronous orbit, one must use the formula Fg = Gm1m2/r^2 and ac = 4pi^2r/T^2, along with the knowledge that T = 8.85*10^4 s and m = 6.37*10^23 kg. This will allow for the calculation of the necessary velocity and radius for the enterprise to be in a synchronous orbit over the beam-down point. It is important to understand the relationship between the radius and the period in order to solve this problem.
Shelilla

Homework Statement

In order for the enterprise to use its transporter it must be in synchronous orbit over the beam-down point. What heigh above the planet Mars must the enterprise be for a synchronous orbit?

Homework Equations

Please, can someone tell me for future reference what I should use in the formulas for this sort of equation? For every solution I've tried on this, all of them require some radius, so should I use the radius of mars?? And please don't just tell me 'combine Newton's something law and something something law' because frankly that doesn't mean anything to me and confuses me extremely, because I find it very hard and incomprehensible to combine formulas.

Fg= Gm1m2/r^2
ac=4pi^2r/T^2
F=ma?
g=Fg/m?
T=sqrt4pi^2r^3/Gm?
v=sqrtGm/r?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried several, but I'm just not sure where to start. Should I get the Fg? The ac? I was told that since it's in a synchronous orbit the period of rotation will be the same as the planet, so all I know for sure so far is that T=8.85*10^4 s and m=6.37*10^23 kg

Physics news on Phys.org
Shelilla said:
I was told that since it's in a synchronous orbit the period of rotation will be the same as the planet, so all I know for sure so far is that T=8.85*10^4 s and m=6.37*10^23 kg
So how do you accomplish this. What is the relation between the radius and the period?

Orodruin said:
So how do you accomplish this. What is the relation between the radius and the period?
Velocity?

1. What is a synchronous orbit?

A synchronous orbit is a type of orbit where a satellite or object rotates around the Earth at the same rate that the Earth rotates on its axis. This results in the satellite appearing to stay in the same spot in the sky from the perspective of an observer on Earth.

2. How high is a synchronous orbit?

The height of a synchronous orbit can vary depending on the specific orbit being discussed. However, in general, a synchronous orbit is typically located at an altitude of approximately 35,786 kilometers (22,236 miles) above the Earth's surface.

3. What is the significance of height in synchronous orbit?

The height of a synchronous orbit is significant because it determines the amount of time it takes for a satellite or object to complete one orbit around the Earth. In the case of a synchronous orbit, the object will complete one orbit in the same amount of time that it takes for the Earth to complete one rotation on its axis.

4. What factors affect the height of a synchronous orbit?

The height of a synchronous orbit is primarily affected by the mass and density of the Earth, as well as the gravitational force between the Earth and the object in orbit. Other factors that may play a role include the shape and tilt of the Earth's axis, as well as any external forces such as solar radiation or atmospheric drag.

5. Can objects other than satellites be in synchronous orbit?

Yes, objects other than satellites can be in synchronous orbit. For example, some geostationary satellites are used for communication purposes, while others may be used for weather monitoring or surveillance. Additionally, some natural phenomena such as the Moon's orbit around the Earth can also be considered a type of synchronous orbit.