What are the fundamental principles of physics that apply universally?

• I
  • Thread starter Silviu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the speaker is asking for an organized list of the most fundamental principles in physics that can be used to derive all other equations and theories. They mention that they are learning BSM physics and have realized that not all formulas they have learned are always valid, and are looking for a list of principles that are universally applicable. The responder mentions that such a list, often referred to as a "theory of everything," does not exist and instead the speaker will need to learn separate formulas for different domains. The speaker clarifies that they are looking for principles that are universally required, such as Lorentz invariance, and not just equations that explain everything. They believe that Lorentz invariance is a principle that applies to all areas
Silviu
Hello! I apologize if this is not the right place for this, but it the highest I could get in terms of physics topics difficulty. I was wondering if someone can point me towards a place where I can find the main principle of physics laid out in an organized way? By this I mean principle that holds in any system we know (like the Lorentz invariance, but not F=ma, which breaks down in special relativity). I am starting to learn BSM physics and I came to realize that many formulas I learned during years are not always valid in all physics circumstances and I would like to have a list with the most fundamental physics principle from which in principle you can derive everything else. Not necessary any deep explanations of them, or any proofs or motivations, as most probably I encountered many of them already, I just want to have them in an organized way. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you would want to have an axiomatization of all physics. I'm afraid you will not find such a thing.

You are just going to have to learn the separate formulas that apply in their separate domains of applicability. We do not have what you are asking for, which is sometimes called a "theory of everything".

Dale said:
You are just going to have to learn the separate formulas that apply in their separate domains of applicability. We do not have what you are asking for, which is sometimes called a "theory of everything".
Thank you for your reply. I think you misunderstood what I was asking for. I don't want an equation that explain everything, I want to know the equations that are true in general. For example Galilean velocity addition doesn't hold in special relativity. However Lorentz invariance is a requirement that we impose on our equations, from classical electromagnetism, to Dirac equation. Of course Lorentz invariance is not a theory of everything (and I am not sure if it can be considered as an axiom) but we want that all of our equations (maybe at a point even a theory of everything) have it. So I am asking about this kind of principle, that we want our systems (equations) to reflect. I.e. I don't think that Lorentz invariance has just a certain "domain of aplicability", but it is something that we require in all areas of physics for a consistent theory.

1. What is organized physics learning?

Organized physics learning refers to a structured and systematic approach to teaching and learning physics concepts. It involves breaking down complex topics into smaller, more manageable parts and providing students with a clear learning pathway.

2. Why is organized physics learning important?

Organized physics learning is important because it helps students develop a strong foundation in physics, which is essential for understanding more complex concepts. It also promotes critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills.

3. How is organized physics learning different from traditional teaching methods?

Organized physics learning differs from traditional teaching methods in that it focuses on actively engaging students in the learning process. It encourages hands-on experiments, discussions, and group activities to promote a deeper understanding of physics concepts.

4. What are the benefits of using organized physics learning in the classroom?

There are several benefits of using organized physics learning in the classroom. It can help increase student motivation and engagement, improve retention of knowledge, and promote a deeper understanding of physics concepts. It also allows for a more personalized learning experience and fosters a collaborative learning environment.

5. How can teachers implement organized physics learning in their classrooms?

Teachers can implement organized physics learning in their classrooms by using a variety of teaching methods, such as hands-on experiments, demonstrations, and group activities. They can also incorporate technology, such as simulations and interactive games, to enhance the learning experience. Additionally, teachers can provide students with clear learning objectives and a structured learning pathway to ensure that all students are on track with their learning.