What Are the Kinematics of Cliff Divers in Acapulco, Mexico?

• Thread starter Peter G.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the cliff divers of Acapulco, Mexico, take about 2.3 seconds to complete their jump, with only 0.432 seconds spent over the water. Upon entry, they have a vertical velocity of 23.02 m/s and their path to the vertical is at an angle of about 8.58 degrees.
Peter G.
The cliff divers of Acapulco, Mexico, take off horizontally from a rocky cliff face 26.5 m above the surface of the water. In the course of their flight, of which all but the last 1.5 m of their horizontal motion is above rock, they travel 8.0 m forward:

a) For how long are they in the air (ignoring air resistance)
b) For how long are they over the water
c)What is their vertical velocity on entry
d)At what angle is their path to the vertical at entry?

I attempted all of them but I am not sure about some of:

a)h = 1/2gt^2
26.5 = 5t^2
t = 2.30 s

b) I did Direct Proportion: If it takes 2.3 seconds for 8 m: Would be 0.432 s over water

c) v^2 = u^2 + 2as
V^2 = 530
v= 23.02 m/s

d) For the last one I used 23.02 m/s for the vertical velocity and for the horizontal (8 m / 2.3 s = 3.47) and calculated the angle

tan (3.47 / 23.02) = 8.58 degrees

(I did not use the rounded values for the calculations, I just didn't write them down here)

Can you guys help me with these questions please?

Thanks,
Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Well, besides the issue of significant figures, which you've already addressed, everything looks correct to me. :approve:

(And of course, I'm assuming that you were instructed to use 10 m/s2 for g, as opposed to 9.8 or 9.81 m/s2. Using 10 m/s2 for g when you're supposed to use one of the more precise values, might have a significant impact on the final answer.)

Yup, gravity was 10.

Thanks! :biggrin:

1. What is the definition of kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. How is kinematics applied to cliff diving?

Kinematics is used to analyze the motion of a cliff diver as they jump off a platform, fall through the air, and enter the water. It helps us understand the trajectory, velocity, and acceleration of the diver throughout their dive.

3. What factors affect the kinematics of a cliff dive?

The factors that affect the kinematics of a cliff dive include the height of the platform, the initial velocity of the diver, air resistance, and the angle at which the diver enters the water.

4. How does the position of a cliff diver change during their dive?

The position of a cliff diver changes continuously during their dive. They start at a high position on the platform, then fall downwards, followed by a horizontal movement as they enter the water.

5. How does the velocity of a cliff diver change during their dive?

The velocity of a cliff diver changes throughout their dive. They start with zero velocity at the top of the platform, then accelerate as they fall towards the water. Once they enter the water, their velocity decreases rapidly due to the drag force of the water.