What Are the Latest Discoveries About Pluto's Moons?

In summary: Discoveries like this are always exciting and remind us that there is still so much to learn about our own solar system. In summary, a new moon was discovered around Pluto and it was announced on July 20, 2011. This discovery is significant because it reminds us that there is still much to learn about our own solar system, despite the numerous discoveries made in recent years. The conversation also reveals the excitement and curiosity surrounding this new moon and the desire to learn more about it.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Drakkith said:
Just saw this article here about it being announced on 20 July of this year, 2011!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/2011_P_1

Who'd've thought that old dog Pluto would have another pup!

qraal said:
Who'd've thought that old dog Pluto would have another pup!

Yep!

That's pretty cool. With all the photos of distant nebulas and galaxies, I think it is rad that something new, even if it's just a moon, can be discovered so (relatively) close. I kinda assumed there wasn't really anything left to discover in our solar system.

Disconnected said:
That's pretty cool. With all the photos of distant nebulas and galaxies, I think it is rad that something new, even if it's just a moon, can be discovered so (relatively) close. I kinda assumed there wasn't really anything left to discover in our solar system.

Nah, there have been thousands of asteroids, dozens of comets, and several dwarf planets discovered in the last decade or two. Most of these objects have eluded us so long because they are so small and dark.

Yeah, it kinda blew my mind when I found out about the dwarf planets and such (like 8 months ago). Excuse the naive post, I'm kinda out of my field here. I felt a little silly about posting this, then going on to read the threads about the trojan asteroid etc. It's all cool stuff, make me wish I had taken some astro classes.

Disconnected said:
Yeah, it kinda blew my mind when I found out about the dwarf planets and such (like 8 months ago). Excuse the naive post, I'm kinda out of my field here. I felt a little silly about posting this, then going on to read the threads about the trojan asteroid etc. It's all cool stuff, make me wish I had taken some astro classes.

Wikipedia is my friend lol. As are random books from Books-a-Million. I've never taken a college physics, astronomy, or other science class and I think I have a good understanding of science in general.

Hey neat, another moon to go along with Charon!

... follows link ...

Wait a minute, there are already two other moons?!

Drakkith said:
Wikipedia is my friend lol.

I foresee a long session of wiki surfing in my very near future...

I've never taken a college physics, astronomy, or other science class and I think I have a good understanding of science in general.
Strong work. You definitely seem to have an excellent understanding.
Hurkyl said:
Wait a minute, there are already two other moons?!
Yerp, my thoughts exactly.

What is the significance of Pluto having a new moon?

The discovery of a new moon for Pluto is significant because it adds to our understanding of the dwarf planet and its formation. It also raises questions about the origin of the moon and its relationship to Pluto's other moons.

How was the new moon of Pluto discovered?

The new moon of Pluto, named "P4", was discovered by a team of researchers using images from the Hubble Space Telescope. The moon was first observed in 2011 and its existence was confirmed in 2012.

What is the name of Pluto's new moon?

The new moon of Pluto is officially named "P4", but it has also been nicknamed "Kerberos" by the team of researchers who discovered it. This name comes from Greek mythology and is the name of the three-headed dog that guarded the entrance to the underworld.

How big is Pluto's new moon?

The new moon of Pluto, "P4", is estimated to be about 13-34 kilometers in diameter. This makes it significantly smaller than Pluto's other known moons, Charon, Nix, and Hydra, which range from 32-1,200 kilometers in diameter.

What is the new moon of Pluto made of?

The composition of Pluto's new moon, "P4", is currently unknown. It is believed to be made of a mixture of ice and rock, similar to other objects in the Kuiper Belt. Further studies and observations may provide more information about the moon's composition.