What are the lipids on the double membrane of a eukaryote cell's nucleus?

In summary, the origin of the eukaryotes is still unclear, but it seems that the double membrane of the nucleus is similar to the membranes of bacteria and eukaryotic cells.
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
Various sources describe the origin of the eukaryotes as occurring when a bacterial cell ingested an archaea cell, which then symbiotically became the nucleus of the created cell, and which was then the LUCA (Latest Universal Common Ancestor) of all the eukaryotes. The cell membranes of the bacteria domain have a distinctly different kind of lipid then the archaea cell membranes. The cell membranes of eukarya cells have similar lipids as the bacteria.

I have tried to find the answer to the following question online, but I have failed to find it.

Question: What are are the lipids like on the double membrane of a eukaryote cell's nucleus?

From the theory regarding its origin, I would expect the outer layer of the nucleus membrane to have lipids like the bacteria and the eukarya cell membranes, while the inner nucleus membrane would have lipids like the archaea cell membranes. Can anyone confirm this with a reference, or provide a reference that says this is wrong.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
Buzz

Biology news on Phys.org
Hi Jim:

Thanks very much for your help.

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Various sources describe the origin of the eukaryotes as occurring when a bacterial cell ingested an archaea cell, which then symbiotically became the nucleus of the created cell, and which was then the LUCA (Latest Universal Common Ancestor) of all the eukaryotes.

This is incorrect. An archaeon ingested a bacteria, and the bacteria became the mitochondria, not the nucleus. The origin of the nucleus is still unclear AFAIK.

The cell membranes of the bacteria domain have a distinctly different kind of lipid then the archaea cell membranes. The cell membranes of eukarya cells have similar lipids as the bacteria.

Eukaryotic and bacterial plasma membranes are indeed more similar to each other than they are to archaea, and this has posed some interesting evolutionary questions. Here's a link to a section of a http://www.nature.com/nature/journa....html#the-origin-of-eukaryotic-cell-membranes that discusses the issue (if the link doesn't automatically point you to the right section, navigate to the section entitled "the origin of eukaryotic cell membranes"). Part of the answer may be related to the fact that present-day archaea primarily live in fairly extreme environments (e.g. very high temperatures) that may require different membrane structures than bacteria and eukaryotes that live in less extreme environments.

Question: What are are the lipids like on the double membrane of a eukaryote cell's nucleus?

All membrane structures in eukaryotes, including the nucleus, are bacteria-like rather than archaea-like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Fervent Freyja and Buzz Bloom
Hi @Ygggdrasil:

Thank you much for correcting my misunderstanding. I am looking forward to reading the article you cited, but it will take a while since I do not have ready access to Nature, and I will have to rely on my local library to get a copy for me.

Ygggdrasil said:
An archaeon ingested a bacteria, and the bacteria became the mitochondria, not the nucleus.
Ygggdrasil said:
All membrane structures in eukaryotes, including the nucleus, are bacteria-like rather than archaea-like.
I find it quite mysterious that if the archaea cell ingested a bacteria that the resulting cell membrane would bacteria-like. It is not the first time that the entire way I have been thinking about some scientific area has turned out to be completely wrong.

Regards,
Buzz

1. What are lipids?

Lipids are a diverse group of organic molecules that are insoluble in water. They are composed of fatty acids and glycerol and are a major component of cell membranes.

2. What are the functions of lipids on the double membrane of a eukaryote cell's nucleus?

The lipids on the double membrane of a eukaryote cell's nucleus serve several important functions. They act as a barrier, regulating the movement of molecules in and out of the nucleus. They also provide structural support and help maintain the shape of the nucleus. Additionally, lipids play a role in cell signaling and communication within the nucleus.

3. How are lipids arranged on the double membrane of a eukaryote cell's nucleus?

Lipids on the double membrane of a eukaryote cell's nucleus are arranged in a bilayer, with the hydrophilic (water-loving) heads facing outward and the hydrophobic (water-fearing) tails facing inward. This arrangement helps to create a selectively permeable barrier.

4. What types of lipids are found on the double membrane of a eukaryote cell's nucleus?

The types of lipids found on the double membrane of a eukaryote cell's nucleus include phospholipids, cholesterol, and glycolipids. These lipids have different structures and functions, but all contribute to the overall integrity and function of the nuclear membrane.

5. How do lipids affect the function of the double membrane of a eukaryote cell's nucleus?

Lipids play a crucial role in the function of the double membrane of a eukaryote cell's nucleus. As mentioned earlier, they act as a barrier, facilitate communication and signaling, and help maintain the shape and structure of the nucleus. Additionally, lipids can also affect the fluidity and permeability of the nuclear membrane, which can impact the movement of molecules and proteins in and out of the nucleus.