What are the most common eigenstates of molecules in chemistry?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of eigenstates and eigenvalues in chemistry, specifically in the context of molecules. The participants discuss the meaning of these terms and how they relate to the Hamiltonian of a molecule. They also touch on the difficulty of calculating excited states and the limitations of finding closed-form expressions for the energies of molecules. The topic of lasers and their use in probing energy eigenstates is also mentioned.
Rainbows_
What are the different eigenstates of molecules that are most often used in chemistry?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What do you mean by different eigenstates of molecules? There is only one set of eigenstates of (the Hamiltonian of) a given molecule.

blue_leaf77 said:
What do you mean by different eigenstates of molecules? There is only one set of eigenstates of (the Hamiltonian of) a given molecule.

You mean the molecules only have energy eigenstates? What is an example of such eigenstates of molecules for example water?

Unfortunately, the question does not make sense.

I am guessing that OP do not understand the concept of eigenstates, eigenvalues, and what it means for a molecule to have them under the Hamiltonian.
"Energy eigenstates" does not make sense. Eigenvalues of a Hamiltonian of a given molecule are the energies. Each of these energies corresponds to each of the eigenstates of a Hamiltonian of a given molecule.

HAYAO said:

I am guessing that OP do not understand the concept of eigenstates, eigenvalues, and what it means for a molecule to have them under the Hamiltonian.
"Energy eigenstates" does not make sense. Eigenvalues of a Hamiltonian of a given molecule are the energies. Each of these energies corresponds to each of the eigenstates of a Hamiltonian of a given molecule.

I understand them as pertain to only a single atom.. I don't know how to apply it to molecules. Can you give example of this "Each of these energies corresponds to each of the eigenstates of a Hamiltonian of a given molecule"... let's take the case of Sodium Chloride or salt.

HAYAO said:

I don't know if you are the one confused or I am. But "Energy Eigenstates" is simply the Eigenstates of the Hamiltonian.. see https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/41070/what-is-an-energy-eigenstate-exactly

What I wanted to know are examples of energy eigenstates of the molecules. If I hit them with laser, what are the possible quantized energy eigenstates (or eigenstates of the Hamiltonian)?

Hold on, I'll write an answer after I have enough time, but to me "energy eigenstates" feels extremely awkward because I was taught this in Japanese. Direct translation barely make sense at all. But now with the link you've provided, it seems like the chances are, you do call it "energy eigenstates". Perhaps people call it "energy eigenstates" for convenience or it's a real term and has been given a definition, despite the possible confusion to the readers if they were taken literally.

Anyhow, if you are looking for energy of a molecules and the eigenstates of a molecule after absorption of a photon, then you'll have to think about excited states. That is when one (or more) of the electrons are excited into another orbital within a molecule. Calculation of excited states is not as easy as simply deriving energy of orbitals at ground state (which is also difficult already). I can only qualitatively explain if it was a simplified two level case. If you are talking about many-body system, then you'll need sophisticated calculation.

Last edited:
Rainbows_ said:
What I wanted to know are examples of energy eigenstates of the molecules. If I hit them with laser, what are the possible quantized energy eigenstates (or eigenstates of the Hamiltonian)?

On a conceptual level it is in general the same thing as in the case of an isolated atom, just the calculations are quite ugly and don't yield nice results. So you will not find a closed-form expression for the energies of a molecule like there are for a hydrogen-like atom. Note, that we don't have closed-form solutions for any other atom - same reason, math gets ugly.

HAYAO said:
Perhaps people call it "energy eigenstates" for convenience or it's a real term and has been given a definition, despite the possible confusion to the readers if they were taken literally.
Sometimes, the Hamiltonian operator is also referred to as the energy operator. Thus its eigenvalues are called energy eigenstates in this sense.
Rainbows_ said:
Your question still seems vague to me, by examples do you mean you want a graphical example? If you do some computational chemistry calculation you will know that two eigenstates differing in only one level of energy can have a significantly different shape that giving only a particular example does not seem meaningful, at least to me. Anyway, it might be possible to find such graphical representation of a particular state of a particular molecule in scientific papers. Just need to warn you that due to the many-body nature of molecules you might not get a complete coordinate dependency of these states.
In molecules, often it's possible to separate the motion of nuclei and that of the electrons, it's called Born-Oppenheimer approximation. With this approximation in mind, it's possible to talk about the so-called electronic, vibrational, and rotational states. The energy levels between vibrational states in the same electronic level usually lie in infrared region and thus you need an infrared laser in order to probe these levels. Different electronic states are separated by photon energies in the visible to UV or even XUV range and therefore you need lasers with these frequencies for observing inter-electronic level transition. As for purely rotational states, if I remembered correctly you will need a laser in the microwave frequency region.

Likes Rainbows_
blue_leaf77 said:
Sometimes, the Hamiltonian operator is also referred to as the energy operator. Thus its eigenvalues are called energy eigenstates in this sense.
You probably meant eigenstates, not eigenvalues.

kith said:
You probably meant eigenstates, not eigenvalues.

Yes that's a typo.

Thread closed.

1. What are eigenstates of molecules?

Eigenstates of molecules refer to the quantum mechanical states that describe the energy and spatial distribution of electrons within a molecule. These states are determined by the molecule's Hamiltonian operator and can be thought of as the "allowed" energy levels for electrons within the molecule.

2. How are eigenstates of molecules calculated?

The calculation of eigenstates of molecules involves using quantum mechanical methods such as the Schrödinger equation. This equation takes into account the potential energy of the molecule and solves for the wavefunction, which describes the probability of finding an electron at a certain energy level.

3. What is the significance of eigenstates of molecules in chemistry?

Eigenstates of molecules are important in chemistry because they determine the electronic structure and properties of molecules. The energy levels and spatial distribution of electrons play a crucial role in bonding, reactivity, and other chemical processes.

4. Can molecules have multiple eigenstates?

Yes, molecules can have multiple eigenstates. In fact, most molecules have multiple energy levels and corresponding eigenstates. This allows for a variety of possible electronic configurations and behaviors.

5. How do eigenstates of molecules relate to spectroscopy?

Eigenstates of molecules play a key role in spectroscopy, which is the study of how molecules interact with electromagnetic radiation. The energy differences between eigenstates can be observed through the absorption or emission of specific wavelengths of light, providing valuable information about molecular structure and properties.