What are the reactions and forces in a pin-jointed framework?

• Thread starter MMCS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Framework
In summary, the equations ƩFx = 0, ƩFy = 0, and ƩMoments about a point = 0 are used to find the reaction forces in a truss system. In this conversation, the reaction forces at support A and C are discussed. The x and y components of the reaction force at A should equal the support AB. To solve for the reaction force at A, the moments about point C can be summed. The final answer for the magnitude of the reaction force at A is 2.56KN.
MMCS
ƩFx = 0
ƩFy = 0
ƩMoments about a point = 0

Ay + By - 2KN = 0

Momments about A = -(2KN * 2.4) + 1*ReactionC = 0
-4.8KN = reactionC

Sub into first eq

Ay +(-4.8) -2 = 0
Ay = 6.8

To find out the reaction in member AB

I have

6.8 - Tab Cos(tan-10.8/1) = 0
Tab = 6.8/Cos(tan-10.8/1) = 8.738

I have the answer to be 2.56

Attachments

• t11.jpg
    t11.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 401
Physics news on Phys.org
What about the horizontal component of the reaction force at C? What can you say about the horiz and vert components of the reaction force at A?

PhanthomJay said:
What about the horizontal component of the reaction force at C? What can you say about the horiz and vert components of the reaction force at A?

The x and y at A should equal the support AB
The x values for A and C i am unsure how to work out, i have only dealt with problems where one support is a roller support

MMCS said:
The x and y at A should equal the support AB
You mean the vector sum of the x and y components of the reaction force at A should be equal in magnitude to the force in member AB?
The x values for A and C i am unsure how to work out, i have only dealt with problems where one support is a roller support
Truss members are 2 force members. Since no other member besides AB frame into support A, then the total resultant reaction force at support A must be in the direction of member AB.

I note that you have posted this question in the engineering section also. You should probably respond in that thread instead of this one, and avoid double posting in the future thanks.

If the reaction force at A is equal to the magnitude of vector AB, then i have an answer of 6.8KN, but the answer is 2.56KN can you point out the mistake in my working

The reaction force at A acts in the direction of member AB. Sum moments about C to solve for it or its components.

Ok i realize where my confusion was on this problem thanks for your help

1. What is a pin-jointed framework?

A pin-jointed framework is a type of structural system in which the members are connected by pins or hinges at their ends, allowing for rotational movement. This type of framework is commonly used in engineering and construction projects.

2. What are the main advantages of using pin-jointed frameworks?

Pin-jointed frameworks are lightweight, easy to assemble, and can withstand both tensile and compressive forces. They also have the ability to distribute loads evenly, making them ideal for supporting large structures.

3. What are some common applications of pin-jointed frameworks?

Pin-jointed frameworks are commonly used in the construction of bridges, trusses, and other large structures. They are also used in smaller scale applications such as furniture and playground equipment.

4. What are the limitations of pin-jointed frameworks?

One of the main limitations of pin-jointed frameworks is their susceptibility to buckling under high compressive loads. They are also not suitable for structures that require rigid connections or precise angles.

5. How do engineers ensure the stability of pin-jointed frameworks?

Engineers use various techniques such as computer simulations and physical testing to ensure the stability of pin-jointed frameworks. They also consider factors such as load distribution, material strength, and design geometry to ensure the framework can withstand expected loads and forces.