What are the requirements to become an engineer in Greece?

• Thread starter KostasA-17
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary, Konstantinos, a 15-year-old Greek, is seeking advice on how to become a self-taught engineer. However, it is mentioned that in Greece, the title of "Engineer" can only be obtained through completing an undergraduate engineering degree at a polytechnic university or a technological educational institute. It is recommended to start with a strong foundation in calculus and physics, and to attend college instead of pursuing a self-taught route. Additionally, there are two types of engineering degrees in Greece - Diplomate Engineer and Technologist Engineer.
KostasA-17
Hi!My name is Konstantinos,I'm 15 and I am Greek.I am in this forum because I don't know what to do.I want to be a self teach engineer and I don't know from where I have to start to study and I need help.Please give some advise.

Likes etotheipi
Physics news on Phys.org
Start with a solid background in calculus and physics. You need the calculus to properly understand the physics, and you need the physics to understand the engineering courses.

Likes DaveE, berkeman, symbolipoint and 1 other person
And you will need to go to college instead of being self-taught.

Welcome, Konstantinos :smile:
What branch of engineering interests you the most?

Looks like gaining the titile of an engineer is not possible from being self-taught in Greece?
In Greece, the title of "Engineer" is awarded by higher education institutions. There are two types of engineer. The title "Diplomate Engineer" (Diplomate in Greek: Διπλωματούχος; Kάτοχος ενός Διπλώματος/Δίπλωμα/Diploma; Diploma holder) is awarded after completion of a five-year undergraduate engineering degree (diploma) programme at a polytechnic university. These degrees are 300 ECTS credits, leading to a qualification at ISCED level 7, equivalent to an integrated master's degree.

The title of "Technologist Engineer", is awarded after completion of a four-year (three and a half years from 1983 to 1995) undergraduate engineering degree programme at a technological educational institute (TEI). These are 240 (previously 210, 1983–1995) ECTS credits leading to an award at ISCED level 6, equivalent to a bachelor's degree. TEIs existed from 1983 to 2019; they were reformed between 2013 and 2019 and their departments incorporated into existing higher education institutions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineer's_degree#Greece

Likes jtbell

What are the requirements to become an engineer in Greece?

1. What type of education is required to become an engineer in Greece?

In order to become an engineer in Greece, one must have a degree from a recognized university in a relevant field such as engineering, mathematics, or science.

2. Are there any specific courses or subjects that are required for engineering in Greece?

Yes, there are specific courses that are required for engineering in Greece, including mathematics, physics, and chemistry. These courses are necessary to develop the necessary skills and knowledge for engineering work.

3. Is there a licensing or certification process for engineers in Greece?

Yes, in order to work as an engineer in Greece, one must obtain a license from the Technical Chamber of Greece (TEE). This involves passing a series of exams and meeting certain criteria, such as having a relevant degree and work experience.

4. Are there any language requirements for engineering in Greece?

Yes, in order to practice engineering in Greece, one must have a strong command of the Greek language. This is necessary for communication with clients, colleagues, and government agencies.

5. Are there any additional requirements for foreign engineers to work in Greece?

Foreign engineers must have their degree recognized by the Greek Ministry of Education in order to work in Greece. They may also need to pass a language proficiency exam and obtain a work visa.