What are the resonance heights for a tuning fork and resonance tube experiment?

• Thread starter endeavor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resonance
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a tuning fork with a frequency of 440 Hz to create resonances in an air column of a closed resonance tube partially filled with water. The length of the air column at which resonances occur is found using the formula L = (2n+1)*v/4f, where n is a positive integer and v is the speed of sound in air. The initial frequency of the tuning fork is used because it provides only the fundamental frequency, which is the only frequency that can resonate in the air column.
endeavor
"A tuning fork with a frequency of 440 Hz is held above a resonance tube partially filled with water. Assuming that the speed of sound in air is 342 m/s, for what heights of the air column will resonances occur?"

f1 = 440 Hz
v = 342m/s
I'm not sure if this is referring to an open pipe, or a closed pipe.
For an open pipe,
fn = (nv)/(2L) = nf1
v/(2L) = f1
L = v/(2f1)
L = 0.3886 m
But this is the length for the sound traveling up and down... i think. So the length is 0.194m. However, the answer gives 3 values, 0.194m, 0.583m, 0.972m. Even for a closed pipe, I there is only 1 value...
I must be doing something wrong. I don't think the speed of sound in water is a factor, because my first answer seems to be correct...

Physics news on Phys.org
endeavor said:
"A tuning fork with a frequency of 440 Hz is held above a resonance tube partially filled with water. Assuming that the speed of sound in air is 342 m/s, for what heights of the air column will resonances occur?"

f1 = 440 Hz
v = 342m/s
I'm not sure if this is referring to an open pipe, or a closed pipe.
This is a closed pipe. There is a node at the bottom and an anti-node at the open end. So resonances occur where the length of the pipe is [itex]L = \lambda/4, 3\lambda/4, 5\lambda/4,... (2n+1)\lambda/4[/itex]

Using the universal wave equation:

[tex]\lambda = v/f [/tex]

Substituting the resonance criterion: [itex]\lambda = 4L/(2n+1) = v/f[/itex]

resonance occurs at:

[tex]L = (2n+1)v/4f = (2n+1)*342/4*440 = (2n+1).194 m.[/tex]

AM

Andrew Mason said:
This is a closed pipe. There is a node at the bottom and an anti-node at the open end. So resonances occur where the length of the pipe is [itex]L = \lambda/4, 3\lambda/4, 5\lambda/4,... (2n+1)\lambda/4[/itex]

Using the universal wave equation:

[tex]\lambda = v/f [/tex]

Substituting the resonance criterion: [itex]\lambda = 4L/(2n+1) = v/f[/itex]

resonance occurs at:

[tex]L = (2n+1)v/4f = (2n+1)*342/4*440 = (2n+1).194 m.[/tex]

AM
That makes sense, except for why f is kept as the initial frequency. The formula I have is:
L = (mv)/(4fm) where m = 1,3,5,...
and
fm = mf1
thus
L = v/(4f1)
why do I use only the initial frequency here?

endeavor said:
That makes sense, except for why f is kept as the initial frequency. The formula I have is:
L = (mv)/(4fm) where m = 1,3,5,...
and
fm = mf1
thus
L = v/(4f1)
why do I use only the initial frequency here?
In this case, there is a tuning fork which provides only the fundamental frequency - a pure sine wave. There are no higher frequencies to resonate in the air column. So you are dealing with the fundamental frequency only.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
In this case, there is a tuning fork which provides only the fundamental frequency - a pure sine wave. There are no higher frequencies to resonate in the air column. So you are dealing with the fundamental frequency only.

AM
Oh, Ok. Thanks!

Related to What are the resonance heights for a tuning fork and resonance tube experiment?

1. What is resonance and how does it occur?

Resonance is a phenomenon in which an object vibrates at its natural frequency in response to an external force. It occurs when the frequency of the external force matches the natural frequency of the object.

2. How do you find the length of a resonant object?

To find the length of a resonant object, you can use the equation L = (n * λ) / 2, where L is the length, n is the harmonic number, and λ is the wavelength. You can also measure the length directly using a ruler or measuring tape.

3. What factors affect the resonance of an object?

The factors that affect the resonance of an object include its mass, stiffness, and damping. Objects with lower masses, higher stiffness, and lower damping tend to have higher resonant frequencies.

4. Can resonance be harmful?

Yes, resonance can be harmful in certain situations. For example, if a structure or object is subjected to a resonant frequency for an extended period of time, it can cause damage or failure. This is known as resonance catastrophe.

5. How is resonance used in everyday life?

Resonance is used in many everyday applications, such as musical instruments, radio and television broadcasting, and medical imaging technology. It is also used in engineering and design to avoid unwanted vibrations and improve the performance of structures.