What Are the Shared Features of Vertebrate Central Nervous Systems?

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Picture
In summary, this is a nice picture of an early Xenopus larvae that is fluorescently labeled. The red color represents muscle, green represents neural tissue, and blue represents background tissue. The labeled features in this image are found in the early development of the Central Nervous System (CNS) of a Xenopus tadpole, which shares similar features with all vertebrate CNS's. However, changes in later development lead to the elaboration of the basic plan to provide a neural basis for new functions. The cortex in humans, for example, is larger than any other part in the Xenopus. Annotating images like this can be informative and also celebrate the beauty of nature's hidden subtleties. However, there may be copyright
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This is a nice picture of an early Xenopus larvae (from here).
freezeframe_1.jpg

Larvae are from after embryogenesis and hatching, but before they transform (metamorphose) into their adult form (in this case a frog).
It is fluorescently labeled:
red: muscle
green: neural tissue
blue: background tissue (maybe DNA)​

Here is a key I made for this image:
tedpole embryo3.png

Opps, the diencephalon (thalamus) label (between forebrain and eyeball muscles) got left off!

This picture of the Central Nervous System (CNS) of a xenopus tadpole is a good example of the features shared by all vertebrate CNS's from lampreys to humans, the labeled features are found in early development. Changes in events later in development, elaborate upon the basic plan in someway to provide a neural basis for some new function. In this case, only a part of the little forebrain in the Xenopus, becomes the cortex in humans (which is larger than any other part).

As a side issue:
I could now easily produce overlays directly over the image (which would be more visually direct), but I think that would be a copyright infringement (modifying an image?).
Any thoughts on that? I don't know if I am current in my understanding.

I like annotating images like this because it seems like it is informative and
because its a celebration of the beauty of (possibly) hidden subtleties of nature that a not fully informed person might not understand.

Attachments

• freezeframe_1.jpg
    freezeframe_1.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 649
  • tedpole embryo3.png
    tedpole embryo3.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 631
Last edited:
Likes jim mcnamara
Biology news on Phys.org
Yes, taking someone else's photo/graphic and annotating could be a copyright issue. I will check. PS: this is very important on the PF forums

@BillTre - I think we are okay. :smile:

jim mcnamara said:
@BillTre - I think we are okay. :smile:
I am hoping I am successfully working around the edges of the rules.

1. What is the life cycle of a Xenopus frog?

The life cycle of a Xenopus frog starts as an egg, which hatches into a tadpole. The tadpole then goes through metamorphosis, developing limbs and losing its tail, to become a froglet. The froglet then matures into an adult Xenopus frog.

2. How long does it take for a Xenopus frog to develop from an egg to an adult?

The development time for a Xenopus frog varies, but on average it takes about 12 weeks from egg to froglet and about 6 months from egg to adult.

3. What do Xenopus frog larvae eat?

Xenopus frog larvae are primarily herbivores, feeding on algae and other aquatic plants. However, they may also consume small insects and other invertebrates.

4. What is the size of a Xenopus frog larvae?

Xenopus frog larvae can range in size depending on their stage of development, but on average they are about 2-3 cm in length.

5. Are Xenopus frog larvae commonly used in scientific research?

Yes, Xenopus frog larvae are a popular model organism in scientific research due to their ease of care, rapid development, and genetic similarity to humans. They have been used in studies on embryology, genetics, and developmental biology.