What are the steps to simplify a trig identity with multiple angles?

In summary, verifying a trig identity is important in mathematics as it ensures the validity of the equation and allows for further manipulation and simplification. Trig identities are used when solving equations involving trigonometric functions and in proving other mathematical theorems. Some common trig identities include Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, and sum and difference identities. To verify a trig identity, one needs to manipulate the equation using algebraic properties and trig identities. Tips for verifying trig identities include working on one side of the equation at a time and simplifying it as much as possible, as well as memorizing common trig identities and practicing their application.
phys1618

Homework Statement

(sin 3α/sin α) - (cos 3α/cosα) =2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know for sin 2 α I would put 2 sinαcosα, so for 3α, do I just put 3sinαcosα?
for cos 3α, I'm sort of clueless because there's 3 we can use for cosine,
Then after that step, I know to get both of them on the LHS to have a common denominator, which sinα cosα, please help. Thank yyou in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with the angle-sum formulas.

I would approach this problem by first recognizing that trig identities are mathematical equations that relate different trigonometric functions to each other. The goal of simplifying a trig identity with multiple angles is to express it in a simpler form that is easier to work with. To do this, we can follow these steps:

1. Identify and understand the given trig identity: In this case, we have (sin 3α/sin α) - (cos 3α/cosα) = 2. We need to simplify this expression by using trig identities.

2. Use known trig identities: We can use the identities sin 2α = 2sinαcosα and cos 2α = cos²α - sin²α to simplify the expression. We can also use the Pythagorean identity sin²α + cos²α = 1.

3. Convert multiple angles to single angles: In this expression, we have 3α and α as the angles. We can use the double angle identities to convert the expression to a single angle. For example, sin 3α = sin(2α + α) = sin 2α cos α + cos 2α sin α.

4. Rewrite the expression: Now, we can rewrite the expression as (2sinαcosαcos α + cos²αsin α - cos²αsin α)/sin αcos α. Simplifying this, we get (2sinαcosαcos α)/sin αcos α = 2cos α. This leaves us with (cos²αsin α - cos²αsin α)/sin αcos α = 0.

5. Simplify further: Using the Pythagorean identity, we can simplify the expression to (sin²α - cos²α)/sin αcos α = -cos 2α/sin αcos α.

6. Final step: We now have a single trig function in the expression, which is cos 2α. We can use the double angle identity cos 2α = 1 - 2sin²α to simplify the expression further. This gives us 1 - 2sin²α/sin αcos α = 1 - 2tan α.

Therefore, the simplified form of the given trig identity is 1 - 2tan α = 2. This can be verified by plugging in any value for α.

In conclusion, simplifying a trig identity with multiple

Related to What are the steps to simplify a trig identity with multiple angles?

1. What is the purpose of verifying a trig identity?

Verifying a trig identity means proving that the equation is true for all values of the variables involved. This is important in mathematics as it ensures the validity of the equation and allows for further manipulation and simplification.

2. How do I know when to use a trig identity?

Trig identities are used when solving equations involving trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. They are also used in proving other mathematical theorems. It is important to have a good understanding of trig identities and their applications to know when to use them.

3. What are some common trig identities?

Some common trig identities include Pythagorean identities (sin²x + cos²x = 1), double angle identities (sin2x = 2sinx cosx), and sum and difference identities (sin(x ± y) = sinx cosy ± cosx siny).

4. How do I verify a trig identity?

To verify a trig identity, you need to manipulate the given equation using algebraic properties and trig identities until it is equivalent to the other side of the equation. This involves breaking down trig functions into smaller parts, using identities to simplify, and rearranging terms.

5. Are there any tips for verifying trig identities?

One tip for verifying trig identities is to work on one side of the equation at a time and simplify it as much as possible before moving on to the other side. It is also helpful to memorize common trig identities and practice applying them in different equations.