What Are the Unknown Variables in a Circular Arc Pilot Dynamics Problem?

In summary, the pilot would exert a force of 1g at the bottom of the arc, and the radius of the arc would be 2586.735 meters.
Infamous911

Homework Statement

A pilot of mass 50 kg comes out of a vertical dive in a circular arc such that her upward acceleration is 6g.

(a) What is the magnitude of the force exerted by the airplane seat on the pilot at the bottom of the arc?

(b) If the speed of the plane is 390 km/h, what is the radius of the circular arc?

Homework Equations

Fc = (mv^2)/r
(v^2/r)=a

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)
Fc = 50(6)(9.8)
Fc = 2940

(b)
2940 = (50(360^2))/r
r=2586.735

Apparently these answers are wrong and I have no idea why.

Physics news on Phys.org
Infamous911 said:

Homework Statement

A pilot of mass 50 kg comes out of a vertical dive in a circular arc such that her upward acceleration is 6g.

(a) What is the magnitude of the force exerted by the airplane seat on the pilot at the bottom of the arc?

(b) If the speed of the plane is 390 km/h, what is the radius of the circular arc?

Homework Equations

Fc = (mv^2)/r
(v^2/r)=a

(a)
Fc = 50(6)(9.8)
Fc = 2940
There would be 1 g, or 9.8 times mass, force even if the pilot were flying in a straight line. If the upward acceleration is 6g, then the force will be 50(7)(9.8), adding that original 1g.

(b)
2940 = (50(360^2))/r
r=2586.735
Where did "360" come from? Did you mean to use 390?

Infamous911 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Fc = (mv^2)/r
(v^2/r)=a

(a)
Fc = 50(6)(9.8)
Fc = 2940

(b)
2940 = (50(360^2))/r
r=2586.735

The first answer looks right to me. Are you sure it's wrong?

In (b), you first have a typo for the speed, and second, you have not converted the speed from km/hr to m/s. You need to work in a consistent set of units, usually the SI/mks system.

Ah, good point about adding in the extra 1g for level flight, Halls. I thought about it but reasoned incorrectly.

Ok so I have solved (a) with a solution of 3430 N, thanks.

I'm still having problems with (b) though.

390 km/h = 108.333 m/s

3430=(50(108.333^2))/r
r=171.079

This isn't the correct answer apparently (I put in my answer into an online form and it tells me if it's right or wrong).

Nevermind, I figured out that it should instead be just:

a=v^2/r
6(9.8)=108.333^2/r
r=199.592

You're Infamous! Good work. :smile:

1. What is a pilot in a circular arc?

A pilot in a circular arc refers to the trajectory followed by an aircraft or other object when moving in a circular path. This can occur during takeoff or landing, as well as during maneuvers such as turns or orbits.

2. How is the pilot able to maintain a circular arc?

The pilot maintains a circular arc by controlling the aircraft's speed and direction. This is typically done through the use of the aircraft's flight controls, such as the yoke, rudder pedals, and throttle.

3. What factors affect the pilot's ability to maintain a circular arc?

The pilot's ability to maintain a circular arc can be affected by a variety of factors, including wind speed and direction, weight and balance of the aircraft, and the aircraft's design and performance capabilities.

4. What are the risks associated with flying in a circular arc?

Flying in a circular arc can pose risks if not done properly. These risks include stalls, loss of control, and overstressing the aircraft. It is important for pilots to be trained and proficient in flying in circular arcs to mitigate these risks.

5. How is the pilot's visibility affected during a circular arc?

The pilot's visibility may be affected during a circular arc, particularly during turns. This is because the centrifugal force can cause the pilot's body to be pressed against the seat, which can limit their ability to look around the cockpit. Pilots must use proper scanning techniques and rely on their instruments to maintain situational awareness during a circular arc.