Circular motion: normal force on a loop

In summary, the conversation discusses a discrepancy in an answer key for a problem involving a pilot flying a vertical loop. The discrepancy is due to the use of lb-force and lb-mass units, and it is resolved by using the correct value for mass in the equation. The conversation also mentions the use of slugs as a unit for mass in Imperial units.
Beth N

Homework Statement

A 180lb pilot flies a verticle loop with radius 2000 ft at 350 mi/h. With what force does the seat fress upward against him at the bottom of the loop?
Problem 6.21
IMG_5728.JPG

Homework Equations

##F=ma##
##F_c=\frac {mv^2} {r} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

There seems to be a discrepancy in the answer key provided? On the first line the equation they came up is ## F= \frac {mv^2} {r} + mg## . But when the number was plugged in, it seems like they use the equation ##F= \frac {mv^2} {gr} + m ## Which equation is correct? My own answer corresponds with the first equation, which is why I get a different numerical answer.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_5728.JPG
    IMG_5728.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 946
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with the difference between lb-force and lb-mass? What is the weight (in lb-force) of a body that has a mass of 180 lb-mass?

Likes Beth N
I'm more familiar with the unit with kilogram. But I guess the weight in lb-force would be mass in lb * 32.2 ft/second^2 ? (as opposed to 9.8 m/second^2 for kg). So the weight in lb-force of a body with mass 180 lb is 5796 lb? Still, I haven't quite understood the discrepancy in the answer key.

Oh wait I get what you are saying now. 180-lb as indicated in the book's question is the weight (m*a), not the mass (m). I didn't realize that. Thank you!

Beth N said:
I'm more familiar with the unit with kilogram. But I guess the weight in lb-force would be mass in lb * 32.2 ft/second^2 ? (as opposed to 9.8 m/second^2 for kg). So the weight in lb-force of a body with mass 180 lb is 5796 lb? Still, I haven't quite understood the discrepancy in the answer key.
You really should use lb only for the mass unit and lbf for the force unit. The weight of a body with mass x lb in standard gravity is by definition x lbf, not 32.2x lbf. This is by definition of the pound force unit. There is also a similar kg related unit that sees very little use, kgf.

Likes Beth N
In Imperial units, the weight of 1 lb-mass is 1 lb-force. Crazy, huh? This all resolves itself when we specify that the mass to use in applying Newton's second law using Imperial units is the slug, which is the mass in lb-mass divided by 32.2.

Likes Beth N
Yes, but be sure you use the correct value for mass in the mv^2/r term!
Edit: oh already answered, I’m a bit late.

Beth N said:
I would convert the whole thing to kg and m/s, then when you get the final force, in Newtons, convert that into imperial units of force.

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the object's distance from a fixed point remains constant while its direction changes continuously.

2. What is the normal force on a loop?

The normal force on a loop refers to the force exerted by a surface on an object that is in contact with it. In the context of circular motion, it is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path along the loop.

3. How is the normal force on a loop calculated?

The normal force on a loop can be calculated by using the equation FN = mv2/r, where FN is the normal force, m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of the loop.

4. What factors affect the normal force on a loop?

The normal force on a loop is affected by the mass of the object, the velocity at which it is moving, and the radius of the loop. The greater the mass and velocity, the greater the normal force required to maintain circular motion. The smaller the radius, the greater the normal force needed to keep the object moving in a circular path.

5. How does the normal force on a loop relate to centripetal force?

The normal force on a loop is a type of centripetal force, which is any force that acts towards the center of a circular path. It is responsible for keeping an object moving in a circular motion and preventing it from flying off the loop. In the case of a loop, the normal force acts as the centripetal force that maintains circular motion.