What Are This Week's Math Challenges in POTW #342?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Euge
  • Start date
In summary, the POTW #342 is a weekly problem set that aims to challenge and engage scientific thinking. Its objectives are to test understanding of scientific concepts, improve problem-solving skills, and develop critical and creative thinking. Participation can be done through designated websites or social media pages, with solutions being submitted through a specific platform. Benefits include improving scientific knowledge and skills, staying updated on developments, and engaging with others in the field. While there are no physical prizes, the satisfaction of solving challenging problems and potential recognition or certificates serve as valuable rewards.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Hi all,

I was sick for some time, so I had not posted any new problems for either the uni POTW or the grad POTW for a couple weeks. Just this time, there will be a special of two problems posted today for both the university and graduate levels! Here is this week's two POTW:

-----
1. Suppose $f$ is a continuous, complex-valued function on the complex plane $\Bbb C$ such that $\lim\limits_{\lvert z\rvert \to \infty} \lvert f(z)\rvert = 0$. Prove that $f$ has maximum modulus in $\Bbb C$.

2. If $X$ and $Y$ are $n\times n$ matrices over a field $F$, show that the trace of $X\otimes Y$ is the product of the traces of $X$ and $Y$.

-----

You may submit a solution one of the two problems or submit solutions to both of the problems. Remember to read the https://mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to https://mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
No one answered this week's problems! You can read my solutions below.
1. If $f = 0$ there is nothing to prove, so assume $f$ is not identically zero. Since $\lim_{\lvert z\rvert \to \infty} f(z) = 0$, $f$ is bounded, so that $\sup_{z\in \Bbb C} \lvert f(z)\rvert$ exists, call it $\alpha$. As $f$ is not identically zero, $\alpha > 0$. Set $S_k := \{z\in \Bbb C : \lvert f(z)\rvert \ge (1 - 1/k)\alpha\}$ for $k\in \Bbb N$. Each of the sets $S_k$ is nonempty; indeed, given $k\in \Bbb N$, $\alpha/k > 0$ so there must be a $z\in \Bbb C$ with $\lvert f(z)\rvert > \alpha - \alpha/k = (1 - 1/k)\alpha$. By continuity of $f$, each $S_k$ is closed. Furthermore, the $S_k$ are bounded. For as $f(z) \to 0$ as $\lvert z\rvert \to \infty$, there is an $R_k > 0$ such that $\lvert f(z)\rvert < (1 - 1/k)\alpha$ for all $\lvert z\rvert > R$. Therefore $S_k$ is contained in the closed disk of radius $R_k$ centered at the origin. We deduce from the Heine-Borel theorem that each $S_k$ is compact. Since $S_1 \supset S_2 \supset S_3 \supset \cdots$, Cantor's nested intersection theorem yields an element $z_0 \in \bigcap S_k$. Then $\lvert f(z_0)\rvert \ge (1 - 1/k)\alpha$ for all $k$. Taking limits as $k \to \infty$, $\lvert f(z_0)\rvert \ge \alpha$. This forces $\lvert f(z_0)\rvert = \alpha$. Hence, $\lvert f\rvert$ achieves its maximum at $z_0$.

2. The diagonal elements of $X\otimes Y$ come from the diagonal elements of $X_{ii}Y$ for $1\le i \le n$. So the trace of $X\otimes Y$ is $\sum_{i,j} X_{ii} Y_{jj} = \sum_i X_{ii} \sum_j Y_{jj} = \operatorname{trace}(X) \operatorname{trace}(Y)$.

Related to What Are This Week's Math Challenges in POTW #342?

1. What is POTW #342?

POTW #342 stands for "Problem of the Week #342". It is a weekly challenge or problem presented to the scientific community for them to solve and discuss.

2. What are the problems for this week's POTW #342?

The problems for POTW #342 are not specified as it is up to the scientific community to come up with their own solutions and discussions based on the given topic or theme.

3. Who can participate in POTW #342?

POTW #342 is open to all scientists and individuals interested in the given topic or theme. It is a great opportunity to engage in scientific discussions and contribute to the community.

4. How are the solutions for POTW #342 evaluated?

The solutions for POTW #342 are not evaluated in a traditional sense. This is because the goal of POTW is not to find a definitive answer, but to encourage critical thinking and collaboration among scientists.

5. Can I submit my own problem for POTW #342?

Yes, you can submit your own problem or topic for consideration in future POTW challenges. This can be done through the designated channels set by the organizers of POTW.