What are you supposed to show when you have no data to present?

ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
Like when you're doing tons of things but it's mostly preparation for experiments and it's not really working so it's slowing experiments down. There's tons to talk about but there's really nothing to show anyone in terms of a powerpoint.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you determined what you will be measuring and how?
Have you decided how much data you will need and where you are going to get it from?
Have you made arrangements for where the data will be stored, how it will be moved, and what tools you will be using?
Do you have a schedule?

Likes hutchphd and russ_watters
.Scott said:
Have you determined what you will be measuring and how?
Have you decided how much data you will need and where you are going to get it from?
Have you made arrangements for where the data will be stored, how it will be moved, and what tools you will be using?
Do you have a schedule?
well, yes lol. I should've been data collecting today but a series of terrible things that happened and due to the nature of what I am doing I won't be able to attempt again for another week or so

ProfuselyQuarky said:
well, yes lol. I should've been data collecting today but a series of terrible things that happened and due to the nature of what I am doing I won't be able to attempt again for another week or so
My point is that the answer to each of those questions is a powerpoint slide.
What resources (office space, lab space, assistance, equipment) do you need? What arrangements have you made for them?

You can also address the purpose of the study - and what the meaning would be for different ranges of results.

Likes russ_watters
.Scott said:
My point is that the answer to each of those questions is a powerpoint slide.
What resources (office space, lab space, assistance, equipment) do you need? What arrangements have you made for them?

You can also address the purpose of the study - and what the meaning would be for different ranges of results.
this is fair thanks for the suggestion.
I guess I'm worried because everyone will find it odd since, unless it's our turn to give the full one hour presentation, then these mini presentations usually consist of just 1 - 3 slides of unfinished figures/graphs of data that you explain and run through. It's exclusively images, mainly. Context is then shared verbally. I'll do what I have to, however lol.

Can you tap dance? I recommend Tea For Two. :wink:

These are called "prospects talks" and many people (including me) hate giving them. But they are a part of the job - not every talk is neatly timed to when you're getting the data. But the advice is the same for prospects talks: figure out what you are going to say and say it. For example, an outline might be:
  • What are we trying to measure? Why is it important?
  • Who did it before?
  • How this measurement works. What equipment do you use?
  • What is the status of the apparatus? Do you have pictures?

Last edited:
Likes dextercioby, hutchphd, gleem and 1 other person
Experiments don't go according to plan. You've put a lot of work into it so far. So you describe your progress, the difficulties, and solutions that you can try to overcome them. But make sure that the next time around you have something to show as the solution to your previous problem or preliminary data.

Likes BillTre
And be relentlessly positive. One can always shower after the presentation.

• Haha
Likes BillTre, Vanadium 50, gleem and 1 other person
hutchphd said:
And be relentlessly positive.
As in "I'm positive this isn't working"?

As in "I found a really interesting reason why doing the experiment adjacent to the NMR magnet was not a good idea......"

Fermilab E-711 was nicknamed the "Colliding Magnet Experiment"

Sometimes the reason there are problems are at least as interesting as what the experiment set out to do. The half-life of bismuth was discovered by people looking at BGO as a detector medium. KATRIN discovered a background from highly excited atomic hydrogen - like n = 50, 60 or 70. And there is a famouse case of Penzias and Wislon's noise in their apparatus....

• Love
Likes berkeman and DaveC426913
Just don't go all LK-99 with it.

• Haha
Likes berkeman
Haborix said:
Just don't go all LK-99 with it.

1695934620897.png

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41567-023-02225-x

• Haha
Likes Haborix
So how did it go?

1. What should I do if I have no data to present in a research meeting or presentation?

If you find yourself in a situation where you have no data to present, focus on discussing the project's background, the significance of the research, the proposed methodology, and any preliminary work or theoretical framework. You can also use this opportunity to discuss potential challenges, alternative strategies, and seek feedback or suggestions from colleagues or the audience.

2. How can I justify the lack of data in a progress report or update?

In your progress report, be transparent about the reasons why data is not available. Explain any obstacles encountered, such as logistical issues, equipment failures, or delays in obtaining necessary materials or approvals. Outline the steps you are taking to resolve these issues and provide a revised timeline for when data might be expected.

3. Is it acceptable to present hypotheses or expected outcomes instead of data?

Yes, it is acceptable to discuss hypotheses, expected outcomes, or model predictions if actual data is not yet available. This can demonstrate your understanding of the subject and provide insight into your analytical thinking and planning skills. Make sure to clearly label these as speculative or theoretical to avoid confusion with validated results.

4. How can I engage my audience during a presentation without data?

To engage your audience without data, focus on storytelling aspects of your research. Discuss the problem, why it is important, and who it affects. Use visuals like conceptual diagrams, flowcharts, or timelines to illustrate your points. Encourage interaction by asking questions, proposing discussions, or suggesting collaborative thoughts and ideas.

5. What are alternative content options for a presentation if I don't have new data to show?

Consider presenting a literature review related to your field of research, showing how your work fits into the broader context. You can also discuss case studies, historical data, or parallel research that influences your work. Another option is to present a detailed analysis of existing data, perhaps re-evaluating it with a new perspective or different analytical techniques.