What are your thoughts on Manoukian's QFT textbooks?

In summary, The conversation discusses different textbooks on Quantum Field Theory and the need for a pedagogical textbook with good exercises. The two books by Manoukian are recommended but there are doubts about their pedagogical approach. The textbook suggested by both parties is M. D. Schwartz's "Quantum field theory and the Standard Model" which is considered to be better than other standard texts on QFT.
Joker93
Hello!
Manoukian's two books on Quantum Field Theory seem pretty good to me, but before buying them I would like to know your thoughts about them! Bear in mind that I need a pedagogical textbook(with good exercises if possible).
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Any thoughts anybody?

I don't know these books (yet). Sorry.

Joker93 said:
Bear in mind that I need a pedagogical textbook
The books do not look very pedagogical to me.

Well, I'd prefer good physics. Books trying to be pedagogical tend to be confusing ;-).

vanhees71 said:
Well, I'd prefer good physics. Books trying to be pedagogical tend to be confusing ;-).
What kind of textbooks would you suggest then?

I'd start with

M. D. Schwartz, Quantum field theory and the Standard Model, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, New York, 2014.

Likes Joker93
vanhees71 said:
I'd start with

M. D. Schwartz, Quantum field theory and the Standard Model, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, New York, 2014.
Yeah, that would be my choice too.
I have studied a few sections of it and found it to be better than the other standard texts on QFT of the same level(I have not been through Weinberg's QFT books yet though; I liked his book on General Relativity and Cosmology though)

Related to What are your thoughts on Manoukian's QFT textbooks?

1. What is QFT and why is it important?

QFT stands for Quantum Field Theory, which is a theoretical framework used to describe the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. It is important because it provides a comprehensive understanding of fundamental forces and particles in the universe.

2. Who is Manoukian and why are his QFT textbooks popular?

Manoukian is an Armenian-American mathematician and physicist who has written several textbooks on quantum field theory. His textbooks are popular because they are well-organized, comprehensive, and provide a clear understanding of the subject.

3. Are Manoukian's QFT textbooks suitable for beginners?

Yes, Manoukian's QFT textbooks are suitable for beginners as they start with the basics and gradually build up to more complex topics. However, a background in advanced mathematics and classical mechanics is recommended.

4. Are there any criticisms of Manoukian's QFT textbooks?

Some critics have pointed out that Manoukian's textbooks can be dense and difficult to follow at times. Additionally, some have noted that they may not be as up-to-date with the latest developments in QFT.

5. Can Manoukian's QFT textbooks be used for self-study or are they better suited for classroom use?

Manoukian's QFT textbooks can be used for both self-study and classroom use. They include exercises and solutions, making them suitable for self-study, but they can also be used as a textbook for QFT courses.