What are your thoughts on the Black Panther movie?

In summary: I'm interested to see what folks think about the BP movie. I just saw it this evening. Personally, I was very impressed by all of the actors except the Black Panther, whom I thought was meh. The general, the little sister, and the bad guy were all particularly outstanding to me.The CGI was good, but one sort of expects that these days.I have to say I agree. The Black Panther himself was disappointing. Normally, I wouldn't call an actor's performance disappointing, but when the villain, and other side characters have an immensely superior performance, I feel let down that the main actor performed sub-par.The villain has probably some of the best acting I've seen, a good conveyance
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I'm interested to see what folks think about the BP movie. I just saw it this evening. Personally, I was very impressed by all of the actors except the Black Panther, whom I thought was meh. The general, the little sister, and the bad guy were all particularly outstanding to me.

The CGI was good, but one sort of expects that these days.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have to say I agree. The Black Panther himself was disappointing. Normally, I wouldn't call an actor's performance disappointing, but when the villain, and other side characters have an immensely superior performance, I feel let down that the main actor performed sub-par.

The villain has probably some of the best acting I've seen, a good conveyance of the emotions in his life. I would've liked for him to have a little more story, maybe a little more about the boy as a prologue, but I can see why they cut it out.

The cinematography was tremendous as well. One of my favorite scenes would be the shot of the villain walking upside down and the villain surrounded by fire.

Hope I didn't give any spoilers...

Have fun when you watch it!

So ... no Black Panther fans?

phinds said:
To be honest, the current climate in Hollywood has reduced my desire to see this movie. When I go to see a superhero movie, I want to turn off my brain and watch superheros do superhero things and not put a lot of thought into it. A superhero movie that I feel like I'm supposed to judge (and worse, is judging me!) just doesn't sound fun.

I'll probably watch it on Netflix.

I thought it was fantastic. Great to see women in strong and scientific roles. It's not a particularly deep movie or different than other Marvel super hero movies outside of the majority black cast (which was refreshing). @russ_watters

Likes russ_watters
phinds said:
The general, the little sister, and the bad guy were all particularly outstanding to me.
I loved the cast. Michon from Walking Dead. Smeagol and Frodo from LOTR. The main guy from Get Out and the main bad guy was Wallace from The Wire.

phinds said:

I loved the sassy sister character in the movie and liked some ideas in it (the concept of vibranium was pretty cool and the hidden high-tech world beneath the surface of a regular African nation was interesting), but I didn't enjoy it as much as most people I know. I'm not sure why.

I know I wasn't that interested in the king challenges that much. But I did like the concept of this secret element in vibranium that could do amazing things and how the world could be potentially changed by it...and the decision-making that went into whether or not to help others with it or not.

If a sequel moves the plot away from the inner-politics of who rules Wakanda and the kingship and focuses more on the uses of the Wakandan people's powers and how they interact with events around the world using it, then I'd be more interested. It looks like the ending might have hinted at that.

So, I'll probably see a sequel too.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I loved the Black Panther's acting (don't know his name). Really, I thought there was great acting from lots of folks.

kyphysics said:
I loved the sassy sister character in the movie and liked some ideas in it (the concept of vibranium was pretty cool and the hidden high-tech world beneath the surface of a regular African nation was interesting), but I didn't enjoy it as much as most people I know. I'm not sure why.

I know I wasn't that interested in the king challenges that much. But I did like the concept of this secret element in vibranium that could do amazing things and how the world could be potentially changed by it...and the decision-making that went into whether or not to help others with it or not.

If a sequel moves the plot away from the inner-politics of who rules Wakanda and the kingship and focuses more on the uses of the Wakandan people's powers and how they interact with events around the world using it, then I'd be more interested. It looks like the ending might have hinted at that.

So, I'll probably see a sequel too.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I loved the Black Panther's acting (don't know his name). Really, I thought there was great acting from lots of folks.

The actor who played T'Challa (i.e. the Black Panther) is Chadwick Boseman. Among his other roles include portraying US Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall in the film Marshall and singer James Brown in the film Get on Up.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1569276/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

russ_watters said:
To be honest, the current climate in Hollywood has reduced my desire to see this movie. When I go to see a superhero movie, I want to turn off my brain and watch superheros do superhero things and not put a lot of thought into it. A superhero movie that I feel like I'm supposed to judge (and worse, is judging me!) just doesn't sound fun.

I'll probably watch it on Netflix.

I'm puzzled why you think Black Panther is somehow judging you in any particular way. From what I've heard of the film thus far (please note: I haven't seen the film yet, primarily because of my dislike of many of the local multiplex theatres in my area), the Black Panther film doesn't differ all that significantly from other MCU films with the exception of the predominantly black cast.

StatGuy2000 said:
I'm puzzled why you think Black Panther is somehow judging you ...
You might want to read his post a little more carefully.

phinds said:
You might want to read his post a little more carefully.

Perhaps I need to rephrase -- why should the current climate in Hollywood make one iota of difference in appreciating Black Panther (assuming one is even into superhero films to begin with)?

1. What is the plot of the Black Panther movie?

The Black Panther movie follows T'Challa, the newly crowned king of Wakanda, as he navigates the challenges of ruling a technologically advanced African nation while also protecting its secret identity as the home of the powerful mineral vibranium. When an old enemy resurfaces and threatens the safety of Wakanda and the world, T'Challa must team up with his allies, including the all-female Dora Milaje warriors, to stop him.

2. Who are the main characters in the Black Panther movie?

The main characters in the Black Panther movie include T'Challa, the Black Panther and king of Wakanda, his sister Shuri, his love interest Nakia, his ally and head of the Dora Milaje Okoye, his friend and CIA agent Everett K. Ross, and his enemy and cousin Erik Killmonger.

3. How does the Black Panther movie tie in with the rest of the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

The Black Panther movie takes place in the same universe as the rest of the Marvel movies, and it is set shortly after the events of Captain America: Civil War. T'Challa's father, King T'Chaka, was killed in that movie, and his death plays a significant role in the plot of Black Panther. The movie also features a post-credits scene that connects it to the events of Avengers: Infinity War.

4. Is the Black Panther movie suitable for children?

The Black Panther movie is rated PG-13 for intense sequences of action violence, some suggestive content, and brief strong language. While it may be appropriate for older children and teenagers, parents should use their discretion and consider the individual maturity of their child before allowing them to watch the movie.

5. Are there any important themes or messages in the Black Panther movie?

Yes, there are several important themes and messages in the Black Panther movie, including the importance of family and community, the responsibility of those in power to use their resources for the greater good, and the struggle against oppression and colonialism. The movie also celebrates African culture and challenges stereotypes and prejudices.