What are your top 5 most used phone apps?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Apps
In summary: Dropbox* Uber* AirbnbIn summary, Gmail is the app I use the most. It's for emailing cellphone photos to myself. I also use Pulsepoint to monitor emergency calls and notifications in my area. PF is for monitoring emergency calls and notifications across multiple jurisdictions. I use online banking and my university's school app every day. I also use Audible, YouTube, and Kindle Reader. I use Flippingboard, GoodReader, and Notability for various tasks, and I use GarageBand to play and compose music. I also use Procreate for professional artwork.
Early on with smartphones I went in a phase where I added dozens of apps. Now I've settled in and generally use 5 or so daily. What are yours?

1. Gmail
2. PF
3. Facebook
4. Yahoo Sports
5. Waze

Computer science news on Phys.org
  • Maps/Navigation
  • Gmail (to e-mail cellphone photos to myself)
  • Pulsepoint (to monitor emergency calls and notifications in my area)
  • PF
  • Online Banking

I use these every day

- aCalendar+
- Samsung stock email app
- Samsung stock web app
- Samsung memo app
- Out of Milk

/Fredrik

Fra said:
- Out of Milk
What's that?

Fra said:
- Samsung stock email app
- Samsung stock web app
- Samsung memo app
Why use stock?

berkeman said:
What's that?
Its just a shopping list app and todo list app :) when doing weekly large shopping i check against this app. I can also store as per where stuff is in the store so i can minimize time spent in store and still not forget something.

/Fredrik

Likes berkeman
Greg Bernhardt said:
Why use stock?
Why not? I think the stock works fine for all i do. I also try to avoid using google stuff when i can. Google is exellent but they have too much control already. No need for me to feed the dragon with more data. So i do not use google sync or backup either.

/Fredrik

1. Forest- a timer and tracker for study time
2. Mail app
3. My universitys school app
4. Audible
5. YouTube

Safari
YouTube
Flipboard
GoodReader
Azul or PlayerXtreme video playback

Others I play with from time to time
Pythonista python ide
Codea lua ide
Textastic programmers editor
Notability take notes with audio
GarageBand play and compose music
Procreate professional artwork tool

MY one and only favorite app: the on/off switch set to "off ", for 15 years I had one for work and I received calls routinely at any time of day. It was on 24/7. My wife used to become exasperated with 3:00 am calls. Now I refuse to carry one. Did I mention that I just passed my Curmudgeon 101 exam the other day? :woot:

Likes Borg
jim mcnamara said:
MY one and only favorite app: the on/off switch set to "off ", for 15 years I had one for work and I received calls routinely at any time of day. It was on 24/7. My wife used to become exasperated with 3:00 am calls. Now I refuse to carry one. Did I mention that I just passed my Curmudgeon 101 exam the other day? :woot:
No cellphone? Then how do you take pictures of your food to show the world what you're having for lunch?
That joke probably went over your head considering you don't have a cellphone.

jim mcnamara said:
I have never had one. The whole "walking zombie" bit never appealed to me. :oldtongue:

I don't use my iPhone a lot, at least when I'm at home. When I'm "out and about" in general, I use it mainly to kill time while waiting in line somewhere. In normal usage:

Mail
Safari (web browser, mainly for PF and a couple of other forums)
Camera + Photos (I'm counting them as one entry because they go together so closely)
Weather
Stocks

When I'm traveling like on the road trip I did last May, I use Google Maps more, of course, and I do a lot of general Web stuff like searching for sightseeing information and booking hotels, because I no longer take my MacBook (laptop) along on those trips.

Special case: when I visited Portland a couple of summers ago, I used the Tri-Met (transit system) app a lot. Their "next train/bus arrival time" feature was very useful for telling me how long I'd have to wait for my next chance to take a picture of a train.

jtbell said:
Safari (web browser, mainly for PF and a couple of other forums)
Have you tried Google or Opera app?

* Gmail
* Firefox
* Google Fit
* Google Keep
* Kindle Reader

1. What are your top 5 most used phone apps?

My top 5 most used phone apps are Instagram, Spotify, Google Maps, WhatsApp, and YouTube.

2. Why do you use Instagram so frequently?

I use Instagram frequently because it allows me to connect with friends and family, stay updated on current events, and discover new content related to my interests.

3. How often do you use Spotify?

I use Spotify every day, whether it's during my commute, while I'm working, or just relaxing at home. It's my go-to app for listening to music and podcasts.

4. What features do you find most useful in Google Maps?

I find the turn-by-turn navigation, real-time traffic updates, and the ability to save and label favorite places to be the most useful features in Google Maps.

5. Do you prefer WhatsApp over other messaging apps?

Yes, I prefer WhatsApp over other messaging apps because it offers end-to-end encryption for secure communication, allows for easy group messaging, and has a user-friendly interface.