What Branch of Physics Deals with Renewable or Clean Energy?

In summary: And I will also look into EE courses that focus on energy production.In summary, Thermodynamics is a subject that covers the principles of heat and energy. Applied physics students should focus on chemical, electrical, or mechanical engineering, while theoretical physics is not as important. Mathematics is necessary for studying thermodynamics and applied physics, but does not need to be extensive. Thermo and applied physics can be studied separately or in combination, and many decisions about an undergraduate curriculum are up to the student once they know their interests.
EnricoHendro
Hello there,

I am interested in renewable or clean or new energy sources. What branch of physics that I need to focus on in order to get a deep understanding on this? Also, what prerequisites do I need?

p.s. I am a self taught student, so I don't have any academic advisor

Physics news on Phys.org
That is more engineering than physics.

Likes Vanadium 50, DaveE and EnricoHendro
You can start with Thermodynamics. As you study you will be able to chart the proper course based on your interests. Aim for applied physics; chemical, electrical or mechanical engineering, stay away from theoretical physics it's pretty much useless to people that want to build things.

Likes russ_watters and EnricoHendro
DaveE said:
You can start with Thermodynamics. As you study you will be able to chart the proper course based on your interests. Aim for applied physics; chemical, electrical or mechanical engineering, stay away from theoretical physics it's pretty much useless to people that want to build things.
I see. What mathematics do I need to cover in order to study thermo and applied physics? I am comfortable with derivatives and integration techniques. And also, do I need to have a deep understanding of fluid mechanics? Or is fluid mechanics covered in the intro physics books enough?

EnricoHendro said:
I see. What mathematics do I need to cover in order to study thermo and applied physics? I am comfortable with derivatives and integration techniques. And also, do I need to have a deep understanding of fluid mechanics? Or is fluid mechanics covered in the intro physics books enough?
More analytical math courses. Complex analysis (stokes theroem, green's functions, vector calculus, etc.), differential equations, and linear algebra. The "pure math" classes (Group Theory, etc.) are not so important. You only need fluid mechanics if you want to work in that area. It is definitely not covered in the first couple of years of university physics. But, you don't have to decide that yet.

For now focus on thermodynamics, complex analysis, dynamics. Also, start thinking about what area you want to focus on: Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Fluid Dynamics, EE, etc. all start to separate late in an undergraduate curriculum. You just can't learn it all; at least not initially. Many of these decisions are ones that you can make for yourself once you know what direction you want to head in. Energy production covers a wide range. The people that can make power from waves in the ocean are not the same people that will invent the next solar cell, make a better wind generator, or improve carbon capture systems.

Likes EnricoHendro
DaveE said:
More analytical math courses. Complex analysis (stokes theroem, green's functions, vector calculus, etc.), differential equations, and linear algebra. The "pure math" classes (Group Theory, etc.) are not so important. You only need fluid mechanics if you want to work in that area. It is definitely not covered in the first couple of years of university physics. But, you don't have to decide that yet.

For now focus on thermodynamics, complex analysis, dynamics. Also, start thinking about what area you want to focus on: Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Fluid Dynamics, EE, etc. all start to separate late in an undergraduate curriculum. You just can't learn it all; at least not initially. Many of these decisions are ones that you can make for yourself once you know what direction you want to head in. Energy production covers a wide range. The people that can make power from waves in the ocean are not the same people that will invent the next solar cell, make a better wind generator, or improve carbon capture systems.
Thank you for your advice. I will start digging thermo and the maths that you recommend. I am currently preparing for vector calculus by reviewing the basic calculus to make sure I don’t miss any important thing

1. What is the branch of physics that deals with renewable or clean energy?

The branch of physics that deals with renewable or clean energy is called "Renewable Energy Physics" or "Clean Energy Physics".

2. What are some examples of renewable energy sources that are studied in this branch of physics?

Some examples of renewable energy sources that are studied in this branch of physics include solar energy, wind energy, hydropower, geothermal energy, and biomass energy.

3. How does this branch of physics contribute to the development of renewable energy technologies?

This branch of physics contributes to the development of renewable energy technologies by studying the fundamental principles and mechanisms behind these energy sources, and by using this knowledge to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of renewable energy systems.

4. What are some of the challenges faced by physicists in this field?

Some of the challenges faced by physicists in this field include finding ways to store and transport renewable energy, improving the efficiency of renewable energy systems, and finding solutions for intermittent energy sources such as solar and wind.

5. How is this branch of physics related to other fields of study?

This branch of physics is related to other fields of study such as engineering, chemistry, and environmental science. It also overlaps with other branches of physics, such as thermodynamics and electromagnetism.