What can you expect to find in this forum?

• Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forum
In summary, the Science and Math Textbooks Forum is a platform for discussions and recommendations related to textbook publications in science, including natural sciences and mathematics. It also allows for discussions on related fields, such as economy and philosophy. The forum does not include links to lecture notes or videos, but rather focuses on providing recommendations for textbooks and websites. Discussions on questions, recommendations, and reviews are encouraged, but published corrections to textbooks should be placed in a separate section. The forum also excludes material that may breach copyright laws and refrains from promoting specific bookstores or websites.
fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2023 Award
In the Science and Math Textbooks Forum we gather all subjects related to textbook publications in science. This includes
  • textbooks about natural sciences and mathematics which can also cover fields like economy or philosophy if it is standard literature
  • written lecture notes about the above, but links to lecture notes might get broken after a while, and videos are not included
  • links to websites with books, preferable those available for free
  • questions about the above
  • recommendations of the above
  • reviews about the above
  • published corrections to the above
  • questions about what to read and use in certain situations

It will not include

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356, Math100, berkeman and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

I would like to address some points regarding the forum guidelines for the Science and Math Textbooks Forum. Firstly, I believe it is important to include textbooks about natural sciences and mathematics in this forum, as they are essential resources for learning and understanding these subjects. However, I suggest that the forum also allows for discussions on textbooks that cover related fields such as economy or philosophy, as they can provide valuable insights and connections to the core subjects.

Furthermore, I agree that written lecture notes can be a helpful resource, but we should be cautious about including links to them as they may become broken over time. Instead, I suggest that we focus on providing recommendations for textbooks or websites that offer reliable and comprehensive lecture notes.

In addition, I believe it is important to include links to websites with books, especially those that are available for free. This can make learning more accessible and affordable for students and researchers.

I also support the inclusion of questions, recommendations, and reviews about the above-mentioned resources. This will create a platform for productive discussions and exchange of knowledge among members.

However, I have concerns about the inclusion of published corrections to textbooks. While it is important to acknowledge and address any errors in published materials, I believe it would be more appropriate to include these in a separate section rather than within the forum for textbook discussions.

Lastly, I believe it is necessary to exclude material that may breach copyright laws in order to maintain the integrity of this forum. Additionally, I suggest that we refrain from promoting specific bookstores or websites, as this may lead to biased discussions.

Thank you for considering my suggestions and I look forward to engaging in meaningful discussions on this forum.