What causes loss of quantum coherence?

In summary, quantum coherence is lost due to interaction with a complex system with an enormous number of degrees of freedom. This happens quickly when the energy eigenstates of the environment are very close together.
entropy1
Generally, what physical process causes loss of quantum coherence? Is it known?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Big, "classical" objects.
This is a laden, blurry question that will not get a very clear and straighforward answer. For all practical purposes you can assume the above. Big things cause quantum systems to lose their quantum coherence via interaction.

EPR said:
Big, "classical" objects.
This is a laden, blurry question that will not get a very clear and straighforward answer. For all practical purposes you can assume the above. Big things cause quantum systems to lose their quantum coherence via interaction.
I thought I asked a really smart question:doh::oldbiggrin:

entropy1 said:
In many past threads (so many that people might suspect that I’m getting a cut of the sales - I’m not) I’ve recommended David Lindley’s book “Where does the weirdness go”. Read it.

But with that said... the answer to your question is: yes, it is known. Decoherence is caused by interaction with a complex system with an enormous number of degrees of freedom, informally “the environment“

Likes mattt, Demystifier and atyy
entropy1 said:
what physical process causes loss of quantum coherence?

As @Nugatory has said, it's caused by interaction with a system with a very large number of degrees of freedom. I would add that there will also be no way to keep track of the exact state of all of those degrees of freedom.

• Informative
Likes entropy1
entropy1 said:

To put a finer point on @Nugatory 's response: Consider a system partitioned into a system of interest ##s## and environment ##\epsilon## in an initial state $$|\Psi(t_0)\rangle = |\psi(t_0)\rangle_s\otimes|\phi(t_0)\rangle_\epsilon$$ We can construct a reduced density matrix $$\rho_s(t) = \mathrm{Tr}_\epsilon\left[|\Psi(t)\rangle\langle\Psi(t)|\right]$$ If ##\rho_s(t)## becomes diagonal at some time ##t > t_0##, then decoherence has occurred. Decoherence occurs especially quickly when the energy eigenstates of the environment are very close together, which happens when the environment is large.

As you can see, decoherence is somewhat a feature of our description of the system rather than the system itself, since it depends on our partitioning of the system into ##s## and ##\epsilon##. If we chose not to neglect any degrees of freedom, such that all degrees of freedom are considered a part of ##s##, and ##\rho_s(t) = |\Psi(t)\rangle\langle\Psi(t)|## then ##\rho_s(t)## would not become diagonal and no decoherence would occur.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes mattt, vanhees71 and entropy1
Morbert said:
If ##\rho_s(t)## becomes diagonal at some time ##t > t_0##, then decoherence has occurred.
This may be helpful as an introduction (in particular diagonalisation):
Decoherence - Sabine Hossenfelder

Last edited:
Nugatory said:
In many past threads (so many that people might suspect that I’m getting a cut of the sales - I’m not) I’ve recommended David Lindley’s book “Where does the weirdness go”. Read it.
I began to suspect you might actually be David Lindley!

HomogenousCow said:
You don't actually need macroscopic systems to demonstrate some of the features of decoherence, very simple toy models can suffice. Have a look at the examples here https://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/aqm/aqmnine.pdf.

I could use some hint where in the paper those examples are.

Does this count as decoherence: A coherent wave-function of a photon meets a rough reflecting surface, and becomes a less coherent wave-function of a photon?

(I found the examples. Page 43)

entropy1 said:

If you look the literature related to qubits and quantum computing you will find a LOT of information about this.
The question "What causes decoherence" has both technical answers (I could write a up a long list of things that can degrade the properties of a qubit in a real experiment, i.e. processes and things in the environment that reduce T1, T2).

The theory for this is part of the theory of " open quantum systems" which is a well developed area (look up e.g. Lindblad equations and Bloch-Redfield mechanism).
A lot of the basic work was done by people like Tony Legget (Nobel for superfluid He3) in the early 80s when people still worried about whether effects like "macroscopic quantum tunnelling" would be possible to observe (they are!)

Likes vanhees71

1. What is decoherence?

Decoherence is a process in which a quantum system, such as an atom or a subatomic particle, interacts with its surrounding environment and loses its quantum properties, becoming a classical system. This means that the system's behavior can be described by classical physics rather than quantum mechanics.

2. What causes decoherence?

Decoherence is caused by the interaction between a quantum system and its surrounding environment. This interaction can be in the form of heat, light, or other particles. These interactions cause the quantum system to lose its coherence and become entangled with the environment, resulting in the loss of its quantum properties.

3. Why is decoherence important?

Decoherence is important because it is a major obstacle in the development of quantum technologies and quantum computing. It limits the ability to maintain and manipulate quantum states, which are necessary for quantum computing and other quantum technologies to function properly. Understanding and controlling decoherence is crucial for the advancement of these technologies.

4. How does decoherence affect quantum systems?

Decoherence affects quantum systems by causing them to lose their quantum properties, such as superposition and entanglement. This makes it difficult to observe and manipulate these systems, as they behave more like classical systems. Decoherence also limits the amount of time a quantum system can maintain its coherence, which is necessary for performing calculations in quantum computing.

5. Can decoherence be prevented or reduced?

While it is not currently possible to completely prevent or eliminate decoherence, it can be reduced through various methods such as quantum error correction and environmental isolation. These techniques aim to minimize the interaction between the quantum system and its environment, thus reducing the effects of decoherence. However, further research is needed to find more effective ways to prevent or control decoherence in quantum systems.