What is the speed of decoherence and its predictions for coherent systems?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a cosmic speed limit and its relation to decoherence in systems. It is mentioned that the speed of light, or c, is not technically the same as the cosmic speed limit. The conversation also touches on the idea of scrambling and how it affects the propagation of entanglement effects in a network. It is stated that decoherence does not occur at a specific speed, but is influenced by various factors. The conversation ends with the mention of classical and thermodynamic effects in relation to decoherence, and the suggestion of further reading material.
Binax011
Does anyone know or know of the general predictions of the speed at which of coherent system losses coherence to contact with a decoherence system? Is that speed limit faster than the cosmic speed limit?

Physics news on Phys.org
Binax011 said:
Is that speed limit faster than the cosmic speed limit?

I assume you mean c, the speed of light. There is no "cosmic" speed limit due to the expansion of spacetime (which is something of a monkey wrench in the concept of a limit). There are objects that are receding from us at over 3c (I think, it has z>11), for example GN-z11.

Decoherence does not occur at a specific speed. It depends on a number of factors. Generally, it would be well less than c.

A couple of the others here know quite a bit about the subject, and could answer more detail follow-up questions you might have.

Likes bhobba
Light moves at the cosmic limit, but c describes more than just photons. The speed of light isn't technically what c is, is just happens to be equal to it. Spacetime does expand faster than light, but it still does not violate the cosmic speed limit which is a proper termonogly when taking about c. The cosmic speed limit is the limit at which particles move through spacetime, however c does not hinder the movement of spacetime itself.

DrChinese said:
I assume you mean c, the speed of light. There is no "cosmic" speed limit due to the expansion of spacetime (which is something of a monkey wrench in the concept of a limit). There are objects that are receding from us at over 3c (I think, it has z>11), for example GN-z11.

There is a concept know as scrambling where entanglement effects propagate through a tensor network. There are fast scramblers and slow scramblers but there is a limiting speed at which information can travel through the network.

DrChinese said:
Decoherence does not occur at a specific speed. It depends on a number of factors. Generally, it would be well less than c.

A couple of the others here know quite a bit about the subject, and could answer more detail follow-up questions you might have.
DrChinese said:

cosmik debris said:
There is a concept know as scrambling where entanglement effects propagate through a tensor network. There are fast scramblers and slow scramblers but there is a limiting speed at which information can travel through the network.

And i suppose that speed limit is less than c? Making that assumption based on the idea that the particles must need to be able to move close enough together using classical physics before they could adapt the ability to utilize entanglement effects that could affect the system? Does what I said sound intelligble? Lol I am actaully just a car salesman with the hobby of phyiscs but trying to wrap my mind around properties of coherenece.

Binax011 said:
And i suppose that speed limit is less than c? Making that assumption based on the idea that the particles must need to be able to move close enough together using classical physics before they could adapt the ability to utilize entanglement effects that could affect the system? Does what I said sound intelligble? Lol I am actaully just a car salesman with the hobby of phyiscs but trying to wrap my mind around properties of coherenece.

I don't know enough about this to make any further comment, I just thought it may be relevant reading material for you, I'm not even sure if it is relevant.

Cheers

Binax011 said:
And i suppose that speed limit is less than c? Making that assumption based on the idea that the particles must need to be able to move close enough together using classical physics before they could adapt the ability to utilize entanglement effects that could affect the system?

:welcome:

Yes, that's not a bad description for where you are coming from. There are all kinds of classical/semi-classical effects occurring in the environment that lead to decoherence. Thermodynamics (heat), for example.

cosmik debris said:
I don't know enough about this to make any further comment, I just thought it may be relevant reading material for you, I'm not even sure if it is relevant.

Cheers

It was helpful actually! Thanks :)

1. What is the speed of decoherence?

The speed of decoherence refers to how quickly an isolated quantum system loses its coherence, or the ability to exist in a superposition of states. It is a measure of how quickly a quantum system becomes "classical" or behaves like a classical system.

2. Why is the speed of decoherence important?

The speed of decoherence is important because it affects the stability and reliability of quantum systems. If decoherence happens too quickly, it can cause errors and make it difficult to maintain quantum states for long periods of time.

3. How is the speed of decoherence measured?

The speed of decoherence can be measured by observing the decay of quantum coherence in a system over time. This can be done through various experimental techniques, such as quantum state tomography or quantum interference measurements.

4. What factors affect the speed of decoherence?

There are several factors that can affect the speed of decoherence, including environmental noise, interactions with other systems, and the complexity of the quantum system itself. The type of quantum system and the type of measurements being performed can also play a role.

5. Can the speed of decoherence be controlled?

While the speed of decoherence is influenced by various factors, it can also be controlled to some extent. Strategies such as quantum error correction and decoherence engineering can be used to slow down the process of decoherence and maintain coherence in quantum systems for longer periods of time.