What causes the deceleration of a satellite? Space dust?

In summary, the atmospheric drag is the larger component, but there are effects due to gravitational anomalies.
Robert Scott
After talking to a coworker, I looked into the wikipedia article on "Gravity of Earth". I found that the Earth's gravity is not uniform, which makes sense (never thought about it). I have always wondered why satellites de-orbit over time. Someone told me that there is enough space dust to slow down a artificial satellite and they need to speed back up to maintain altitude.

My real question is do the variations in the Earth's gravity slow down a satellite's orbit?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It's not variations in the Earth's gravity, it's just that there is a very small, but non-zero amount of gas from the atmosphere at the altitudes that low-orbit satellites orbit at. This gas gradually slows down anything orbiting very close to the Earth, including satellites and the ISS.

Satellites higher up in orbit, geostationary satellites for example, generally need to use fuel to correct for gravitational disturbances from other bodies that disrupt their orbits over time.

Likes davenn and Robert Scott
Drakkith said:
It's not variations in the Earth's gravity, it's just that there is a very small, but non-zero amount of gas from the atmosphere at the altitudes that low-orbit satellites orbit at. This gas gradually slows down anything orbiting very close to the Earth, including satellites and the ISS.

Satellites higher up in orbit, geostationary satellites for example, generally need to use fuel to correct for gravitational disturbances from other bodies that disrupt their orbits over time.

Thanks! Good to know for when I start building satellites soon ;-)

Likes Drakkith
While the atmospheric drag is the larger component, there are effects due to gravitational anomalies. For example, the 2011 Japan quake actually shifted the orbits of satellites as discussed here - Japan megaquake shifted gravity satellite orbits.

Likes Robert Scott
Drakkith said:
For an unanticipated example of the use of station-keeping fuel, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TDRS-1. The bird did not initially make it to geostationary orbit and had to burn station keeping fuel over a period of months before finally arriving on station.

As I recall from a briefing at the time, one of the key orbital perterbations normally requiring the use of station-keeping fuel is due to the influence of the moon -- it tends to pull craft out of purely equatorial orbits.

Likes Robert Scott and Drakkith

What causes the deceleration of a satellite?

The deceleration of a satellite is primarily caused by atmospheric drag, which is the resistance the satellite experiences as it moves through the Earth's atmosphere. This drag creates a force that acts opposite to the direction of the satellite's motion, causing it to slow down over time.

What is atmospheric drag?

Atmospheric drag is the force that opposes the motion of an object as it moves through the Earth's atmosphere. It is caused by interactions between the air molecules and the surface of the object. The denser the atmosphere, the greater the drag force.

How does the size and shape of a satellite affect its deceleration?

The size and shape of a satellite can greatly impact its deceleration due to atmospheric drag. A larger or more streamlined satellite will experience less drag and therefore decelerate at a slower rate compared to a smaller or less aerodynamic satellite.

What other factors can contribute to the deceleration of a satellite?

In addition to atmospheric drag, other factors that can contribute to the deceleration of a satellite include solar radiation pressure, which pushes against the satellite, and gravitational forces from other celestial bodies, such as the Moon and the Sun.

Does space dust affect the deceleration of a satellite?

Yes, space dust can also play a role in the deceleration of a satellite. While the individual particles of space dust are very small, they can accumulate over time and cause a slight decrease in the satellite's speed. However, this effect is much smaller compared to atmospheric drag and other factors.