What Causes Induced EMF in Moving Conductors and Transformers?

In summary, the Lorentz force acts on moving charges in a magnetic field, causing magnetic attraction or repulsion depending on how the two magnetic fields interact. The iron rod's movement in a magnetic field will not produce a net magnetic field, but rather align the spin of the electrons. As for the second case, the changing magnetic flux through the secondary winding of a transformer induces an EMF according to Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction. The spins of the electrons do not play a role in this process.
brian.green
I read many different explanation but none of them is satisfying.
There is two cases:

1. I move an iron rod in a magnetic field, between two bar magnet for example.

To this case I read that when I move the rod the electrons on it also move and moving charges produce magnetic field which interact with the external B field. I think this is impossible because those electrons don't move locally just relatively. This cannot produce net magnetic field arround the rod just allign the spin of the electrons. Maybe this B field interact with the external one?

2. Iron core of a transformer transfer the energy.
In this case electrons in the secondary winding don't move at all. Allign to the external B field but just due to its spin magnetic moment. Just the spin allign and e- doesn't move at all. What causes the charge separation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
brian.green said:
To this case I read that when I move the rod the electrons on it also move and moving charges produce magnetic field which interact with the external B field. I think this is impossible because those electrons don't move locally just relatively. This cannot produce net magnetic field arround the rod just allign the spin of the electrons. Maybe this B field interact with the external one?
Lorentz's force acts on the charges when they are moving relative to a magnetic field with some velocity V.
F=q(VxB)..
brian.green said:
2. Iron core of a trafo transfer the energy.
In this case electrons in the secondary winding don't move at all. Allign to the external B field but just due to its spin magnetic moment. Just the spin allign and e- doesn't move at all. What causes the charge separation?
What's "trafo"? Do you mean a transformer? If yes, I still don't understand your question.

cnh1995 said:
Lorentz's force acts on the charges when they are moving relative to a magnetic field with some velocity V.
F=q(VxB)..

B field can interact only with B field. Where is the B field of those "moving" electrons? The spin magnetic moment interact here? (Because at the Lorentz force two B field interact each other.)

cnh1995 said:
What's "trafo"? Do you mean a transformer? If yes, I still don't understand your question.

Yes, transformer. What cause the EMF in the secondary coil? The changing magnetic field just allign the spin of the electrons. Why they move?

Last edited:
"B-fields" do not interact with each other.
Magnetic fields interact with moving charges.

my2cts said:
"B-fields" do not interact with each other.
Magnetic fields interact with moving charges.

Read this:
http://www.school-for-champions.com/science/magnetism_lorentz.htm

"Cause of Lorentz Force

A magnetic field is created by the motion of an electrically charged particle—such as a proton or electron. If that electrical charge is moving through an external magnetic field, there will be a magnetic attraction or repulsion force, depending on how the two magnetic fields interact."

brian.green said:
"Cause of Lorentz Force

A magnetic field is created by the motion of an electrically charged particle—such as a proton or electron. If that electrical charge is moving through an external magnetic field, there will be a magnetic attraction or repulsion force, depending on how the two magnetic fields interact.
But when you move a rod, electrons and protons both move in the same direction with same velocity. Therefore, the rod can't generate a magnetic field of its own.
brian.green said:
B field can interact only with B field. Where is the B field of those "moving" electrons? The spin magnetic moment interact here? (Because at the Lorentz force two B field interact each other.)
When only the electrons are moving, i.e. when a current is flowing, a magnetic field is set up.
brian.green said:
Yes, transformer. What cause the EMF in the secondary coil? The changing magnetic field just allign the spin of the electrons. Why they move?
According to Faraday's law of EM induction, emf is induced in the secondary because there is a changing magnetic flux through the secondary winding.

brian.green said:
I read many different explanation but none of them is satisfying.
There is two cases:

You are introducing an artificial (or maybe meaningless) distinction here. A charge moving in a magnetic field experiences the Lorentz force. It does not matter how did it get to move. In a metal even the thermal motion of the free electrons results in a magnetic force that curves their trajectories. See "cyclotron resonance in metals" (can be used to measure the effective mass). When the bar has an overall translation, there is an extra effect on top of this, which we measure as an overall emf.
An by the way, is there any other way to move than relatively (to something)?

The spins of the electrons have nothing to do with this.

Likes cnh1995

What causes the induced EMF?

The induced EMF (electromotive force) is caused by a changing magnetic field or a moving conductor within a magnetic field.

How does a changing magnetic field cause an induced EMF?

When a conductor is placed within a changing magnetic field, it experiences a force that creates a flow of electrons, resulting in an induced EMF.

Why does a moving conductor within a magnetic field produce an induced EMF?

The movement of a conductor within a magnetic field causes a change in the magnetic flux, which in turn induces an EMF in the conductor.

Does the strength of the induced EMF depend on the strength of the magnetic field?

Yes, the strength of the induced EMF is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field.

Can the direction of the induced EMF be determined?

Yes, the direction of the induced EMF follows Lenz's Law, which states that the induced current will flow in a direction that opposes the change in magnetic flux that caused it.