What color of LED light to use for display of minerals? Cool or warm?

In summary, the speaker plans to display their rock and mineral collection in glass door cabinets in the living room using LED under-the-counter lights. They are considering using either warm or cool lights, but there is no information available on the lights' specifications. The speaker is aware that most mineralogists use halogen lights, but they are concerned about the heat and power usage. They are open to other suggestions and have been recommended to use cool lights for the most accurate display of colors.
BarnRat
I'm going to display my rock and mineral collection in glass door cabinets in the living room. I've found some LED under-the-counter lights, 21 small LED lights per 2-ft string. I plan to use one of the strings for each shelf. They come in two "colors", warm and cool. Sorry, they don't specify any more decent specs for the lights. Given this, would you use a warm light (more like a normal incandescent bulb) or a cool light (like most older fluorescent lights)?

I know most mineralogists use halogen lights but those generate too much heat and use too much power. I plan to leave these lights on all the time.

Any other suggestions are welcome!

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
If you want to display reality, cool light to get closest to http://www.rise-lite.com/download/kelvin-color-temperature-scale

Last edited by a moderator:
Andre said:
If you want to display reality, cool light to get closest to http://www.rise-lite.com/download/kelvin-color-temperature-scale
Thank you for your reply and the link to that chart.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between cool and warm LED lights?

Cool LED lights emit a bluish-white light, while warm LED lights emit a yellowish-white light. This is due to the color temperature, which is measured in Kelvin (K). Cool LED lights have a color temperature of 5000K or higher, while warm LED lights have a color temperature of 3000K or lower.

2. Which color of LED light is better for displaying minerals?

The color of LED light used for displaying minerals depends on personal preference and the type of minerals being displayed. Some minerals may look more vibrant under cool LED lights, while others may look better under warm LED lights.

3. Will using cool or warm LED lights affect the appearance of the minerals?

Yes, the color of the LED light used can affect the appearance of minerals. Cool LED lights tend to enhance the blue and green colors in minerals, while warm LED lights bring out the red and yellow colors.

4. Is there a specific color temperature that is recommended for displaying minerals?

There is no specific color temperature that is recommended for displaying minerals. It ultimately depends on personal preference and the type of minerals being displayed.

5. Can I use a combination of cool and warm LED lights for displaying minerals?

Yes, using a combination of cool and warm LED lights can provide a balanced and more accurate representation of the minerals' colors. This can also help create a more visually appealing display.