110V wiring question (what to use, to provide minimal power to LED driver)

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with a problem they are having with their LED pendant lighting. They are using a timer to shut off the lighting during certain hours, but when the timer turns back on, the lighting defaults to a flash pattern instead of the previous setting. The speaker is looking for a solution to retain the memory settings when the lighting is turned off by the timer, possibly by using a resistor or adding non-volatile memory on the controller board. They are also considering asking the manufacturer to change the default settings.
JohnnyAirtime
:smile: Okay folks... Not sure where to turn to at this moment (I'm stuck, and need some help!)... however, I am working this from two angles as I also have the China manufacturer (of my LED pendant lighting) trying to figure this out too.

I'll start with; I'm not an elect.engineer and will never pretend to be. But, I do hope that I can explain my issue(s) in terms that you all may understand. I ran across this forum when searching for answers to my problems. So I hope there's someone here, who can steer me in the right direction.

Here's what I have;
I'm using a dual 60W LED multi-chip pendant lighting. Or, "high bay" pendant light with two 60W LED chips. This light, is using an RGB driver (one per multi-chip) that has a remote control to adjust the LED. It can do several things to mix the color output, as well as strobe, flash, dimming, etc of the chip. Very nice to have, however those "features" of the driver/remote control are causing me a problem.

How it's wired currently;
I'm using an electronic timer, that shuts the driver off during certain hours of the day. The timer is pretty simple, as it connects to 110V and has 2 circuits of output. Meaning, it will turn on/off 2 different output circuits. Here's a sample of how the timer is wired to the LED light (L being "live" and N being "neutral". 3-4 and 5-6 are timer circuits on/off).
e9d8c2ea.jpg

The problem.
With the light powered on, I set the light to a specific setting (using the remote control). When the driver loses power, and shuts off via the timer... I also lose my memory settings on the LED driver. This means, when the timer again turns on the light (provides power back to the driver), the light will turn on with a default setting. This setting, just happens to be a "flash" pattern, and not the setting I set with the remote before it turned off. It tells me, there is no "non volatile memory" on the LED driver.

Making sense ?? :confused:

What my specific problem is... I need the driver to retain memory when it is turned off, via the timer.

Still working with the China manufacturer, I'm asking them to tell me how much power is it going to take to retain memory (only). As I just want that little bit... and not enough to turn the driver back on, or light the 60W multi-chip LED until the electronic timer says "on" with full 110V power.

My thought, is to use some kind of resistor (not sure what term I should be using here), between the two leads as shown in this figure;
860dd6a1.jpg

ANYONE have any ideas on what I should be asking the manufacturer, or what I should be using to make this work?? Am I on the right path?? Anything you can assist with to HELP me... would be greatly appreciated! :redface:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

I don't think the resistor idea is the way to go. The best way would be if the manufacturer could add in some non-volatile memory on the controller board to remember the settings. It would only take a little memory, and would probably only cost $0.10 or so in volume. They could use an I2C serial EEPROM chip, for example. The actual implementation would depend on how their controller is designed.

Alternately, ask them to change the default settings to what you want. That shouldn't be very hard for them to do.

1. What wire should I use for 110V wiring?

The wire you use for 110V wiring should be at least 14 gauge. This wire size is capable of handling the current and voltage necessary for powering LED drivers.

2. How do I determine the power needed for my LED driver?

The power needed for your LED driver can be determined by multiplying the voltage and current requirements of your LED lights. For example, if your lights require 12V and 1A, your LED driver will need to provide at least 12 watts of power.

3. Can I use regular household wires for 110V wiring?

Yes, you can use regular household wires for 110V wiring as long as they are the appropriate gauge and rated for the voltage and current needed. It is recommended to use wires specifically designed for electrical purposes.

4. How do I connect the wires to the LED driver?

The wires should be connected to the LED driver according to the manufacturer's instructions. Generally, you will need to strip the ends of the wires and use wire nuts or a terminal block to secure them to the appropriate terminals on the LED driver.

5. Is it safe to handle 110V wiring on my own?

Working with electricity can be dangerous, so it is important to take proper safety precautions. If you are not experienced with electrical work, it is recommended to hire a professional electrician. If you do choose to handle the wiring yourself, make sure to turn off the power and use caution when handling the wires.