What companies hire freshman for summer internships?

In summary, the speaker is looking for advice on which employers to approach at their school's career fair in order to secure an internship for the summer. They have a declared major in nuclear engineering and physics, but are open to exploring other fields and potentially changing majors. The speaker has taken courses in math, physics, mechanical engineering, chemistry, economics, and humanities, but has limited experience in programming and web design. They are hoping to find a paid internship to help with the cost of school. The advice given is to attend the career fair and network with as many employers as possible to learn about different internship opportunities.
mrnike992
I'm looking to get an internship over the summer, and I know that most companies don't consider freshman but I was wondering which ones were known to.

I'm a declared nuclear engineering & physics double major but I'm open to almost any field, as I'd be open to changing majors if I enjoyed the work I did in the summer. My school's spring career fair is tomorrow and I'd really appreciate some advice as to which employers to approach.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is the kind of question that is impossible to answer without knowing more about your specific education/qualifications, and without knowing about what your current coursework has been. Have you done much programming (either through coursework, or by playing with/studying programming on your own)?

My suggestion would be to just proceed to attend the career fair and talk to/network with as many employers as possible to learn more about different internship opportunities. Even if you don't land an internship for this summer, knowing which employers are out there can be helpful for you in future years, as well as give you more ideas on honing in on what area to study in.

That's fair. By the end of this semester I'll have covered math through Calc III, Physics I & II, Mechanical Engineering Design, Chemistry, Economics, and various required humanities. Very little background in python, and some web design but not enough to put on my resume.

And I intend to do so, I'd just really like to shoot for an internship this summer, if not for the experience, at least for the money. I'm having a little trouble paying for school and a paid internship would help a ton. Thanks for your answer StatGuy!

1. What types of companies hire freshman for summer internships?

Many types of companies hire freshmen for summer internships, including large corporations, start-ups, non-profits, and government organizations. The specific types of companies that offer internships to freshmen will vary depending on the industry and location.

2. Do I need previous work experience to get a summer internship as a freshman?

No, previous work experience is not always required for summer internships as a freshman. Many companies are willing to provide opportunities for students with little to no experience, as long as they demonstrate a strong interest and aptitude for the field.

3. How can I find companies that offer internships for freshmen?

One way to find companies that offer internships for freshmen is to search online job boards and internship websites. You can also reach out to your school's career center or attend job fairs and networking events to connect with companies that offer internships to freshmen.

4. What are the benefits of participating in a summer internship as a freshman?

Participating in a summer internship as a freshman can provide valuable work experience, help you build a professional network, and give you a better understanding of a particular industry or career path. It can also make you a more competitive candidate for future internships and job opportunities.

5. How can I increase my chances of getting hired for a summer internship as a freshman?

To increase your chances of getting hired for a summer internship as a freshman, it is important to start your search early, tailor your resume and cover letter to each company, and showcase your relevant skills and experiences. Networking and building relationships with professionals in your desired field can also help you stand out as a strong candidate for an internship.