What constant acceleration do you need to catch up?

In summary: Let's hope the man has some agility and doesn't end up on the floor. In summary, the problem involves finding the minimum constant acceleration needed for a man to catch up with a cockroach that is running away at 1.50 m/s. By using the equation x=x0+v0*t+1/2*a*t^2 and rearranging it, a minimum acceleration of 57.71 m/s2 was initially calculated, but this was incorrect due to a mistake in the initial position of the man. By accurately accounting for the initial position, the correct minimum acceleration was found to be much lower, at about 10 miles per hour.
Cynthia

Homework Statement

Large cockroaches can run as fast as 1.50 m/s in short bursts. Suppose you turn on the light in a cheap motel and see one scurrying directly away from you at a constant 1.50 m/s. If you start 0.91 m behind the cockroach with an initial speed of 0.82 m/s toward it, what minimum constant acceleration would you need to catch up with it when it traveled 1.20 m, just short of safety under a counter?

Homework Equations

x=x0+v0*t+1/2*a*t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that to solve this I musty first find the time it took the cockroach to get to the counter fro 0.91m to 1.2 m. To do this I used the formula x=x0+v0*t+1/2*a*t^2 (where x=1.2, x0=0.91, v0=1.5m/s and, a=0 and t=?)

so I got t= (x-x0)/v0
t= 0.29/1.5 =0.193 seconds

Then I used x=x0+v0*t+1/2*a*t again and rearranged it to find the acceleration of the man. I inserted the equation with x=1.2, x0=0, v0=0.82, a=??, t=0.193 to get:

a= (x-x0- v0*t )/ (1/2*t^2)
a= (1.2 - 0.82*0.193) / (0.5 * 0.193^2)
a=57.71 m/s2 which is wrong according to the answer :(

Please help, use simple physics as I am very new to the subject. And thank you in advance !

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Cynthia, :welcome:

I think you have a little more time to catch up with the critter: you start 0.91 m behind him (her?) and he/she still has 1.20 m to go before escaping.

Help yourself with a sketch of the situation: time horizontal, position in the y direction

Likes Cynthia
Cynthia said:
I thought that to solve this I musty first find the time it took the cockroach to get to the counter fro 0.91m to 1.2 m.

That's the problem. The roach starts 1.2m away from the counter. The man starts 1.2m + 0.91m away from the counter.

Likes Cynthia
Thank you so much BvU and CWatters I get it now

Likes BvU
If you calculate the final speed of "you" just before you reach the counter, it is about 10 miles per hour! You are likely to be knocked unconscious, lying on the floor of a cheap motel with large roaches scurrying around. :H

1. What is constant acceleration?

Constant acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time, where the velocity increases or decreases by the same amount every second.

2. How is constant acceleration calculated?

Constant acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The unit of measurement for acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s^2).

3. What is the significance of constant acceleration in catching up?

Constant acceleration is important in catching up because it allows an object to continually increase its velocity until it reaches the same velocity as the object it is trying to catch up to.

4. How does constant acceleration affect the distance needed to catch up?

The distance needed to catch up depends on the initial velocity, the acceleration, and the velocity of the object you are trying to catch up to. With constant acceleration, the distance needed to catch up decreases as the acceleration increases.

5. Can an object with constant acceleration ever catch up to an object with a higher initial velocity?

Yes, an object with constant acceleration can eventually catch up to an object with a higher initial velocity. As long as the acceleration is greater than the difference in initial velocities, the object will eventually surpass the other object's velocity.