What could be causing vertical stripes and flashing pixels on a new LED monitor?

In summary, the person's LED monitor recently stopped working properly and they are trying to figure out what the problem might be.
fluidistic
Gold Member
I bought a LED monitor less than a month ago. Until yesterday I never had any kind of problem, all worked perfectly well.
Today while I was away from keyboard but still close to the screen, I saw that the screen suddenly turned all black with large (maybe 100 pixels, I don't really know) white/very clear pink vertical stripes. I couldn't see my desktop at all nor anything familiar but these vertical stripes.
I turned off all my computer, checked out 3 times the plugs. Turned on and I couldn't even see anything but these stripes.
After an hour of desperate tries, it worked back. However I still have a major stripe (clearer than the normal background, about maybe 100 pixels large) with a red vertical 1 pixel stripe constantly flashing.
I've tried to plug my CRT monitor and I have no problem at all, so it's not my graphic card but my LED monitor.
I took so much care of it that I can't think about anything bad that could happen to it, not even electricity problems since I've plugged it through a stabilizer just like my whole computer. The ambiant is not too dry, not too wet. The monitor has not a single scratch nor anything different from a new one.
I've searched a lot on google and never read anything like that.

Do you have any idea of what it might be?
The model is a LG flatron E1940. Fortunately I have the warranty so I'll head there as soon as I can (probably wednesday afternoon).

Computer science news on Phys.org
fluidistic said:
I've tried to plug my CRT monitor and I have no problem at all, so it's not my graphic card but my LED monitor.
Are you using analog (VGA) on the LCD monitor or DVI? It could be the DVI output on the card that is messed up. If neither VGA nor DVI work with the LCD monitor, then something is likely blown inside the monitor. Maybe it's just some of the electronics, not necessarily the screen. These things can happen. There may be a manufacturing defect that did not manifest itself until now. That's why they give you a warranty.

Try another PC if you can to make sure it's the monitor that is broken. If you're sure, then return it for warranty repair/replacement. Even if it starts working again, I would ask for a replacement. It could happen again, usually the day after your warranty runs out.

Just a random chance: try changing the cable that you're using. I've had lots of problems with monitors where it turned out just to be the cable.

If the VGA is the left plug and DVI is the right plug on this picture: http://www.google.com.ar/imgres?img...age=1&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=134&ty=80, then I'm using VGA and I don't have any DVI plug.

Ok, before heading to the store where I bought it I'll ask them if I can try out another cable (and give mine). If this doesn't work I'll go with my monitor.
I won't be able to go there before Thursday. As soon as I know what the problem was, I'll tell you (I myself find it interesting).
Thanks a lot for your tips.

fluidistic said:
If the VGA is the left plug and DVI is the right plug on this picture: http://www.google.com.ar/imgres?img...age=1&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=134&ty=80, then I'm using VGA and I don't have any DVI plug.

Left is VGA, right is DVI-A (analog). Normally for a digital monitor DVI-D (digital) is used. Same plug as DVI-A, but different pinout.

But anyway, if you used the VGA out for both the CRT and LCD monitors, it clears the card. Something is wrong with the monitor or cable.

fluidistic said:
Ok, before heading to the store where I bought it I'll ask them if I can try out another cable (and give mine). If this doesn't work I'll go with my monitor.
I won't be able to go there before Thursday. As soon as I know what the problem was, I'll tell you (I myself find it interesting).
Thanks a lot for your tips.

You should try and get a DVI-D cable for a monitor of that caliber, ideally, you would not use VGA for anything other than a CRT as it can compromise quality and, in some cases, performance.

That is, of course, as long as your videocard has a DVI-D out.

LED monitors process video signals different than CRT's. Have you tried another LED monitor? If the problem persists the the signal [i.e., GPU] is to blame. You can also try another GPU, if the problem persists the monitor is to blame. My money is on the monitor. Fortunately, LG has a good reputation for covering warranty claims.

I don't have any other LCD screen so no, I didn't try any other.
What is really strange is that the brighter than background large vertical stripe starts right in the middle on my screen.
During the time I had this screen (maybe 22 days), I used a lot (about 6 times a day I'd say) the options to change the brightness of the screen. There are the options "movie", "internet" and "normal". When you try on of these, half of the screen turns to the selected brightness and the other half stays as it was before you chose the option, so that you can compare the difference of brightness. Until of course you leave the option menu and all the screen turn what you selected. Well, the left part of the stripe starts right where the limit of the difference of brightnesses is.
I'm heading to the store I bought it in about one hour now. I'll let you know what happens.

I just got their answer: the monitor couldn't be repaired and the fail was due to the panel (apparently what I had guessed). They gave me a new one. Instead of being really satisfied, I'm still afraid the problem might rise one more time.

fluidistic said:
I just got their answer: the monitor couldn't be repaired and the fail was due to the panel (apparently what I had guessed). They gave me a new one. Instead of being really satisfied, I'm still afraid the problem might rise one more time.

Interesting. The problem could happen again, but I don't think that is statistically likely, since a panel problem from a monitor that new would arise from a manufacturer's error.

KrisOhn said:
Interesting. The problem could happen again, but I don't think that is statistically likely, since a panel problem from a monitor that new would arise from a manufacturer's error.

Yes and that's what I'm afraid of. :smile:

What causes an LED monitor to not work well?

There are several potential reasons why an LED monitor may not work well. It could be due to a faulty power supply, damaged or loose cables, outdated drivers, or a problem with the monitor itself.

How can I troubleshoot an LED monitor that is not working well?

The first step in troubleshooting an LED monitor is to check all connections and cables to ensure they are secure. You can also try updating the drivers for your monitor or performing a factory reset. If these steps do not resolve the issue, the problem may be with the monitor itself and it may need to be repaired or replaced.

Why is my LED monitor displaying a distorted image?

A distorted image on an LED monitor could be caused by a variety of factors, including a damaged or defective monitor, outdated drivers, or incorrect display settings. It could also be due to interference from other electronic devices or a faulty cable connection.

How can I improve the image quality on my LED monitor?

To improve the image quality on your LED monitor, you can try adjusting the display settings or updating the drivers. You may also want to check for any physical obstructions or interference that could be affecting the display. In some cases, upgrading to a higher resolution or newer model may also improve image quality.

What should I do if my LED monitor is not turning on at all?

If your LED monitor is not turning on, first make sure it is properly connected to a power source. If it is, then check to see if the power button or switch is functioning properly. If the monitor still does not turn on, there may be an issue with the power supply or internal components and it may need to be repaired or replaced.