What Determines Induced Voltage in a Transformer?

In summary, the induced voltage in a transformer depends on the number of turns in the coil, as well as the changing magnetic field. This is because a changing magnetic field generates a changing electric field, which in turn produces the voltage that forces electrons to move (current). The form of the coil, including the number of turns and the area, can affect the strength of the electric field and ultimately the voltage induced in the secondary coil. This is similar to how individual magnetic fields in an inductor can overlap and create a stronger, general magnetic field.
Wston
As I understand in transformer when there are two sections of wire, changing magnetic field induces voltage into another wire.

Can anyone tell why induced voltage depends on how many loops of coil there are ?
Less loops of coil there are in secondary coil, less voltage will there be induced by magnetic field.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi
welcome to PF :smile:

Wston said:
Can anyone tell why induced voltage depends on how many loops of coil there are ?

have an educated guess
lets take a primary coil with a fixed number of turns, it's going to generate a magnetic field of a certain strength

now within that magnetic field a coil of 10 turns and a coil of 100 turn
in which coil will a greater EMF be generated and why ?

google Faraday's Law for some ideas
then come back and let us know what you found and how to answer the above questionDave

Hi, and this is what I have found: Generated voltage equals to -N times ΔΦ/Δt, where ΔΦ=AB ( A - area of coil, B - external magnetic field, N - number of turns).
In a coil of 100 turn there will be 10 times more voltage generated compared to coil of 10 turns, according to that formula. Why it depends on the number of turns though ?

Maybe I am formulating the wrong question because I don't really understand this at present. When a changing magnetic field is generated in one coil and there is a second coil in its vicinity - current will be induced. Now which scenario occurs for the second coil when magnetic field changes ?

1. Changing Magnetic field -> Electric field -> Current (moving electrons)
or
2. Changing Magnetic field -> Current ?

If its the 1st one, then could it be that generated electric field is in turn produced by individual electric fields around each turn of coil interfering with each other ? (like with magnetic fields around each turn in inductor that interfere and overlap to produce stronger field)

Wston said:
In a coil of 100 turn there will be 10 times more voltage generated compared to coil of 10 turns, according to that formula. Why it depends on the number of turns though ?

Think it through ... what does a 100 turn coil have that a 10 turn coil doesn't have ?
and with that, what is the effect of the magnetic field on the 100t coil compared to the 10t coil ?

Wston said:
1. Changing Magnetic field -> Electric field -> Current (moving electrons)

yes, but it is a little more complex than that and you don't have to go that deep to understand the basics

simply, a changing magnetic field generates a changing electric field and so on ... this is an electromagnetic field

Dave

Thanks for responses. I think 100 turns has more conductive materiel in magnetic field. Although isn't it already covered with the A - area of coil in the formula ? In that case what brings N to the table.

davenn said:
yes, but it is a little more complex than that and you don't have to go that deep to understand the basics

simply, a changing magnetic field generates a changing electric field and so on ... this is an electromagnetic field

Dave

I wasn't sure about this, so does it mean whenever there is a changing magnetic field, electric field is generated and that electric field creates the voltage that forces electrons to move (current), am I understanding this right ? (without going to Einstein's relativity I was wondering if I am understanding the mechanics here just in simpler magnetic and electric fields).

If this is right (changing magnetic field ->generated electric field->induced voltage and current), maybe form of the coil matters (N, turns) because of electric fields around turns somehow overlapping with each other and creating a general strengthen electric field ? I am thinking of an analogy of current running through an inductor where individual magnetic fields around each turn overlap and create a greater, general magnetic field. Otherwise I am not sure. I just don't understand why form of the coil (and even area of the coil) would contribute to the strength of the generated electric field (and hence strength of the voltage) in the secondary coil by the changing magnetic field from the primary coil.

What is a transformer?

A transformer is an electrical device that is used to transfer electrical energy from one circuit to another through the process of electromagnetic induction. It consists of two or more coils of wire, known as the primary and secondary coils, which are wrapped around a common iron core.

What is induced voltage?

Induced voltage is the voltage that is created in a circuit due to the process of electromagnetic induction. It is generated when there is a change in the magnetic field that links with the circuit, which can be caused by a changing current or a moving magnet.

How is induced voltage determined in a transformer?

The induced voltage in a transformer is determined by the number of turns in the primary and secondary coils, the strength of the magnetic field, and the rate at which the magnetic field changes. This is known as Faraday's law of induction.

What is the relationship between the number of turns and induced voltage in a transformer?

The induced voltage is directly proportional to the number of turns in the secondary coil and inversely proportional to the number of turns in the primary coil. This means that increasing the number of turns in the secondary coil will result in a higher induced voltage, while increasing the number of turns in the primary coil will decrease the induced voltage.

What factors can affect the induced voltage in a transformer?

Apart from the number of turns, the induced voltage in a transformer can be affected by the frequency of the alternating current, the permeability of the core material, and the distance between the primary and secondary coils. These factors can also impact the efficiency and performance of a transformer.