What determines the abundance of elements?

In summary, the conversation discusses the source of elements other than hydrogen, helium, and some lithium. These elements are produced through fusion in aging suns and supernovas, with models continuously improving. The rarity of certain elements, such as boron and beryllium, can be attributed to their history of being synthesized in stars and then scattered or incorporated into new stars. There is still uncertainty about the exact reactions and abundance of these elements.
martix
I was just watching a very particular old documentary, when the question hit me.
I could probably manage an educated guess, but I don't really know what exactly determines how much of a certain element there is(except H and He, those are obvious).

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What is the source of other elements?

The source of all elements other than hydrogen, helium and some lithium is fusion in aging suns and supernovas. Fusion gets you to iron, but anything heavier is created during supernova explosions. We don't have a handle yet on the exact reactions involved or what controls the abundance, but models are getting better every year.

So... basically no answer to that question yet. :)
That's surprising.

I know that supposedly Carbon also gets produced at some point at the end phases of a stars life.

There's also the question why elements like boron or beryllium(4/5) are rarer than say cobalt(first element after iron, which is as far as I know that heaviest exothermally fusing element).

Actually the answer is here, you just have to think for a moment. My question was not a random one.

It is mainly a matter of the sample history. Metals (in astrophysics sense) are synthesized in stars, when (and if) the star explodes as supernova, they are scattered around, then they are included in the next generation stars, or separated due to the stratification in the gas clouds, and so on. Whatever you observe depends on what happened before.

1. What are the main factors that determine the abundance of elements?

The abundance of elements is primarily determined by their origin and the processes that occur in stars and stellar explosions. Additionally, the age and composition of the universe also play a role in element abundance.

2. How do elements form in the universe?

Elements are formed through nuclear fusion reactions in the cores of stars. These reactions fuse lighter elements together to form heavier elements. Elements heavier than iron are formed through supernova explosions.

3. What is the most abundant element in the universe?

The most abundant element in the universe is hydrogen, making up about 75% of all matter. Helium is the second most abundant element, making up about 25% of matter. All other elements make up the remaining 0.03% of matter.

4. Why are some elements more abundant than others?

The abundance of elements is determined by their stability and the likelihood of their formation in stellar processes. Elements with more stable nuclei and higher fusion probabilities are more abundant, while elements with less stable nuclei and lower fusion probabilities are less abundant.

5. How does the abundance of elements vary in different regions of the universe?

The abundance of elements can vary in different regions of the universe depending on the age, composition, and history of that region. For example, regions with a higher concentration of stars and supernovae explosions may have higher abundances of heavier elements, while younger regions may have higher abundances of lighter elements.