What determines the location of welts?

• Thread starter f95toli
  • Start date
  • Tags
f95toli
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I believe I have a general understanding why hives/welts occur as the result of a allergic reaction. However, I was wondering if it is know what determines the location of the individual welts?
When the reaction is due to the physical contact is is pretty obvious; but if it a reaction due to say food allergy less so.

I realize that it is to some extent probably random; but unless the "generation" of a welt somehow makes other welts less likely that still doesn't explain why you typically only get a few of them; and not hives all over your body.

Is there something special going on with the skin at the locations where welts are most likely to occur?

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
Biology news on Phys.org
If I got what you mean - like a strawberry induced rash - these are called urticaria.

https://acaai.org/allergies/allergic-conditions/skin-allergy/

The location is a response of mast cells in surficial blood flow to an allergen
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6526977/

The location of an outbreak is somewhat random, but has a greater chance of repeating near the original outbreak. This causes a "cluster" effect sort of.

Mast cells are found throughout the body in loose connective tissue. Some are randomly dispersed in the tissue. They tend to concentrate near blood vessels, where the cell is more elongated. In the skin, concentrates can also be found near follicles, sebaceous glands, and sweat glands
--- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK499904/

• Informative
Likes pinball1970, Tom.G, BillTre and 2 others
Yes, that is what I meant.

That is very interesting, I had no idea that was the mechanism!

Also, thanks for the great link!

Likes pinball1970
I suspect they're related to auto-immune disorders.

I have patches of eczema in particular places on my body - one knuckle, and now (frustratingly) the part of my nose which I am just now learning seems to be called the glabula or procerus.

So something in the flesh of those particular places is hyper-sensitive to stressors.

Last edited:
Um, how about what some researchers think:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7184931/
There is a considerable unmet demand for safe and efficacious medications in the realm of autoimmune and inflammatory diseases. The fate of the immune cells is precisely governed by control of various metabolic processes such as mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation, glycolysis, fatty acid synthesis, beta-oxidation, amino acid metabolism, and several others including the pentose phosphate pathway, which is a unique source of metabolites for cell proliferation and maintenance of a reducing environment.

What this says is metabolic disease is a likely primary precursor to autoimmune disease. And the precursor to this, mitochondrial dysfunction, is a highly probable ultimate "starting point". Oxidative stress from unhandled ROS (reactive oxygen species) from glycolysis is the biochemical explanation. It generates inflammation which "trashes" mitochondria.

Metabolic Disease is, in a very big way, environmental. It is also called metabolic syndrome.
For some patients there can also be an additional genetic causes.
This link is for non-biologists:
https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/metabolic-syndrome
A simple 'do I have metabolic disease test":

Do a waist circumference (C),
then do the hips (H).

If ##C>H## then the answer is really very likely to be 'yes'.

Please consider this a better explanation than just guessing.... it is an important concept in public health. BTW.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes berkeman

1. What are welts and how do they form on the skin?

Welts, or hives, are raised, often itchy, red or skin-colored bumps that appear on the skin. They are usually a result of the body's reaction to certain allergens, and can also be triggered by factors like stress, infections, or certain medications. When an allergic reaction occurs, the body releases histamine and other chemicals into the bloodstream, causing the small blood vessels in the skin to leak fluid, leading to swelling and forming welts.

2. What factors determine the location of welts on the body?

The location of welts on the body can depend on several factors including the direct site of contact with an allergen (such as a plant or an irritant), systemic reactions which may appear anywhere on the body, and specific areas that might be more sensitive due to individual physiological differences. In some cases, the location can also be influenced by external factors like clothing pressure or temperature.

3. Can the location of welts indicate the cause of the reaction?

While the location of welts alone may not definitively indicate the cause of the reaction, it can sometimes provide clues. For example, welts that appear around the waist might suggest an allergic reaction to a belt or a nickel buckle. Welts on the hands could be due to latex gloves or other substances handled. However, comprehensive medical evaluation is necessary to accurately determine the cause.

4. Why do welts sometimes appear in clusters?

Welts can appear in clusters because the histamine and other inflammatory substances released by the immune system can affect nearby areas, causing multiple welts to form close together. Additionally, the body’s reaction might be more severe in areas with higher sensitivity or more exposure to the allergen or irritant.

5. Are certain parts of the body more prone to developing welts?

Yes, certain parts of the body may be more prone to developing welts, particularly areas with thinner skin such as the neck, face, and arms. These areas can react more visibly and quickly to allergens and irritants. However, welts can technically form on any part of the body depending on the nature and cause of the reaction.